View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 17th, 2021, 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next
 Chexmix's 1989 Ford Bronco Build Up 

Post Re: Chexmix's 1989 Ford Bronco Build Up
Me too, I had to get a battery drill to have reverse.

November 12th, 2017, 10:56 am
UC4x4 Member

I fixed the dome light (another thing the PO cut cables on). Also resealed the front diff cover and filled with some heavier 85w-140. That stuff is like pouring maple syrup, took for ever to pour in 2qt! Added a large magnet while it was open. I'm going to pull the axle and rebuild it this summer with new seals since the tube show some residue at the Cs.
Attachment:
IMG_8019.JPG
IMG_8019.JPG [ 3.35 MiB | Viewed 9261 times ]

Also have the air compressor hooked up inside with a relay, and while it's not deafening, I'm going to move it outside the cab in the future.

At PNP I pulled a new passenger door window, I'm going to rebuild the doors in the near future too with new door lock actuators, new glass, new arm rest, new glass seal and new door springs (that hold the door open).

Chasing a high idle (not easy, it will randomly surge when idling which make crawling difficult when it does). Shut off and on sometimes resolves it, so I'm thinking it might not be a vac leak. I pulled and cleaned the IAC and made a new gasket for it too while I was there.
Attachment:
IMG_8024.JPG
IMG_8024.JPG [ 3.55 MiB | Viewed 9261 times ]

Drove It around and it didn't reproduce the high idle, but I'm not holding my breath.

December 8th, 2017, 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Ordered a through hole nmo mount for a new dual band antenna (2m and 70cm) with a spring. I was surprised this wasn't more common and it took some searching to find a dualband with a spring. Seems most people just use a single band flexible whip off-road, but both bands are used on the rubicon (2m by all external repeaters like eldorado / tahoe and 70cm by the spider lake repeater). The through hole means I'll drill a hole to perminently mount it and I'll mount mobile overhead in the cab.

I have a triple band antenna now on a mag mount and I may have to use that when in Baja. Also I have a NMO to UHF adapter and the radio side of the antenna cable is a SMA with a pl-259 (uhf style) adapter, so mobile or handheld could connect in a pinch.

Side note, in the era of everything damazon, I emailed dxengineering they actually responded to help me.

Antenna: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/CMA-SS-680SBNMO
Cable: https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/DMN-C213SNMO

I'll post pictures when it's mounted.

Also randomly I found a 4x4 ham club! ;-) http://www.4x4ham.com/forum.php

March 19th, 2018, 8:13 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Did the high idle issue pop back up or did cleaning the IAC do the trick

March 19th, 2018, 8:45 am
UC4x4 Member

Ptack1 wrote:
Did the high idle issue pop back up or did cleaning the IAC do the trick

it's not persistent anymore, so work I've done has (seems?) helped but not fixed the issue yet. It manifests when I come to a stop light, where it will be fine and then randomly jump up and if I turn on and off the engine (click the key back and forth), it comes back down. I think it actually might be the temp sensor now and the computer is entering it cold start warm up loop again. I need to replace my thermostat (truck barely gets to the low side of N(ormal) and then I'll test the temp sending unit. But otherwise it drives fine, and I towed the jeep with it the other day.

March 19th, 2018, 9:33 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

chexmix wrote:
Ptack1 wrote:
I need to replace my thermostat (truck barely gets to the low side of N(ormal) and then I'll test the temp sending unit.

IDK about your gauge but for mine.... the top of N is ~ 200. R means something is wrong (especially with my new cooling system), M is boiling coolant, L is ruined motor.

- Confucius

March 21st, 2018, 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Mine has been more "normal" in the past. :D Adding a better grounding cable from the engine to the windshield wiper stud, made my gauges much more reliable.

March 22nd, 2018, 8:58 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I’m thinking about adding rock jock style sway bar. This isn’t for the road (I have stiff springs), this is for off-road. Rich made the comment that all of our (solid axle) rigs feel the same off road and they really do throw you side to side sometimes. So I’m going to look into sway bays that don’t limit travel too much (not that my rig is super flexible)

June 5th, 2018, 11:13 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Why not swap a TTB back in it?

June 5th, 2018, 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

California Monkey wrote:

KOTH style

Wolfpack member #1

June 5th, 2018, 3:10 pm
UC4x4 Member

California Monkey wrote:

This was helpful. :roll:

June 6th, 2018, 6:38 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Honestly I'd look at heavier valving in the shocks first.

I have the same issue at times where the truck rebounds off a rock or something and gets in this side to side bounce that lasts longer than I'd like it to, and at least for me I know part of the problem is I'm under-valved in the shocks.

I use a 255/70 Bilstein 5150, there's Toyota guys running the same shocks on trucks that are way lighter! I used to think I'd add a second of the same shock but more recently I'm just trying to find time and come up with a game plan to put coilovers up front. I also want a little more shock in the back and have mostly just been lazy in looking for a good solution there.

I'll bet 5 bucks you've got some shitty no-brand shocks and you don't even know what the valving is. Or if they are adjustable like a RS9000 or similar, most of those only adjust compression and not rebound which is likely your bigger problem in this scenario... Or if memory serves, your rear shocks were actually mounted upside down at one point such that the valving was backwards... I think you've fixed that so I'll give you some credit. Maybe. My point is your track record with paying attention to shocks is poor :goodfinger:

While the sway bar could also solve this problem, good shocks will help with ride overall, are easy to swap, don't require you to fab mounts for the sway bar and may solve the problem enough that you ditch the sway bar idea.

My 2 cents!

- Confucius

June 6th, 2018, 7:55 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Now that is a useful constructive post!

I thought about the same thing, and my shocks are rough country! Didn’t they go UA2017 and mention they could replace your shocks?? :goodfinger:

I’d like rebuildable shocks, but I really don’t want to pay for nitrogen that I loose when I the shock to revalve it. I’d prefer air shocks, but they don’t seem to be made for what I’m doing. (ie for lighter rigs)

June 7th, 2018, 6:44 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I love the idea of air shocks but they don't fit into the off-road crawler heavy rig world. They work ok for tube buggies and jeeps but even then they arn't great. Shocks can make a world of difference and my rebuildable fox shocks I run up front are flat out amazing. The giant downside is shock tubing and having to recharge everytime they get discharged.

Easy adjust ability without spending crazy money is tough... You will have to work for it. I really wish they made QA1 dual adjustable shocks for offroad use. Unless 6.5" of travel is acceptable for you there isn't anything out there for reasonable money.

June 7th, 2018, 6:56 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

So also consider the price of “nice” shocks. The rock jock sway bat is probably less than $500, can you point out rebuildable shocks for less than $125 per corner? (Yes that’s one sway bar, but I think the front will makeup 90%)

June 7th, 2018, 8:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49  Next