View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 17th, 2021, 6:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49
 Chexmix's 1989 Ford Bronco Build Up 
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: Chexmix's 1989 Ford Bronco Build Up
agreed on the front being the go-to. I don't remember the rock jock sway bars being that cheap. I know roughstuff did a kit a year or so ago.

The shocks can be inexpensive but youd have to tell what you need. I have a guy......

June 7th, 2018, 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

chexmix wrote:
Now that is a useful constructive post!

I thought about the same thing, and my shocks are rough country! Didn’t they go UA2017 and mention they could replace your shocks?? :goodfinger:

I’d like rebuildable shocks, but I really don’t want to pay for nitrogen that I loose when I the shock to revalve it. I’d prefer air shocks, but they don’t seem to be made for what I’m doing. (ie for lighter rigs)

Skyjacker was the sponsor and yes one of my Bilsteins was bleeding a little from what I'm sure was massive heat fading after miles of dirt roads in 110 degree heat. Seems to be fine since.

Air shocks are meant to act like a coil-over and both provide damping and support the weight of the vehicle so I don't think this is the solution for a variety of reasons. You could of course go to coilovers and gain significant adjust-ability in both spring rate and shock valving.

Anywho, if you're willing to spend ~ $500 on a sway bar I think you should look at spending a similar amount or even slight more on shocks that will benefit you in many ways, especially if this is true:

California Monkey wrote:
The shocks can be inexpensive but youd have to tell what you need. I have a guy......

- Confucius

June 7th, 2018, 4:42 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I would be nice to just find a perfect pre-made shock that fit, like a bilstein.

For rebuildable, King is in So-cal and supposed to have great customer service. But there are a bunch of manufacturers, Fox vs King vs SAW vs Bilstein vs Rad-flo vs FOA, etc.

You know the old saying, I just want it to work. New shocks and sway bar may be the money spot. Btw to give this more context, in addition to getting older and wanting a smother ride, the side to side really bangs the kids heads around and I want to make sure they're having fun too. <- That will impact allot of what I buy these days, 12v fridge, board water and shower, etc. Still not positive about the roof top tent, I think I'd prefer roof storage there.

June 8th, 2018, 10:52 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

right on.... I know my kid and my comfort level with my rig has really made it super unlikely that she will be joining us on any trips. She didn't even like hollister leaving the campground as it was a bit tippy. She's very girly girl kid so I'll keep working on that but i definitely see where you are coming from. I don't see roof top tents being a plus as everyone one I know who went that route said being that high off the ground was worse than being on the ground. I think your effort there would be better placed towards a better tent and better comfort items like chairs, air mattresses, sleeping bags and the other stuff you already mentioned.

I would look into the old FSB forum for the guys who have gone through this before and find out what they did for shocks, sway bars and other changes to make the trail more enjoyable. Also, the kids seat options for things like head supports are pretty good. I just gave Peter Victorias' old seat which was pretty bad ass.

June 9th, 2018, 8:07 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

If a Jeep guy can comment on this...I went through the same thing with my ride. Too much side to side sway after going over an obstacle. It would beat you up to the point where my passengers would complain about it. I was running some Bilstein 5165s, 255/70 valving. I just added a Currie Anti-Rock and upgraded my font shocks to some 7100s, 275/78 valving. I also got rid of my old worn out leaves and installed a custom seat of Deavers. Big improvement, eliminated a lot of the problem. I'm still running some 5100s in the back, 255/70 valving. Still need to get more seat time, but I'm thinking I need to reevaluate my rear shocks too. I'd suggest some good shocks to start, and rebuildable is nice because you can experiment with different valving options.

June 12th, 2018, 3:15 pm
UC4x4 Member

Thanks guys, both shocks and sway bar are probably in my future.

I think I have to bite the bullet and rent a nitrogen tank if I go with rebuildable.

June 13th, 2018, 9:11 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Your buddy who's a bronco/willies jeep fan who lives in Concord and has a goat tattoo on his leg is a good person to talk to about the nitrogen stuff. just throwing that out there.

June 14th, 2018, 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I’m still mulling over the shocks. My only hesitation now is that FOA shocks are not maintence free and I don’t care to add something that increases maintence requirements. Namely because I don’t have the time to be a dad, to go on trips and wrench at the same time. But also because people form a perception of how reliable a rig is by how much you work on it. Even you guys do, I stopped sharing small things failing years ago, to grow the perception that it’s reliable, and funny thing is, it has been reliable in turn. I work hard to make sure I don’t have to work on it constantly.

Well, I’ll share a small one. On one of our recent trips or just driving on the road, something smashed the passenger side brake tube on the axle. I’ve replaced it before and while it’s not a hard part to get, it has a really long hard long attached and that line is always bent out of shape on delivery. Because this has happened more than once and I don’t like the hardline being shaped funny, I bought another short passenger side hose and I’m going to flare my own extension to it so it follows the contours of the axle better. :mrgreen:

July 24th, 2018, 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

chexmix wrote:
I would be nice to just find a perfect pre-made shock that fit, like a bilstein.

For rebuildable, King is in So-cal and supposed to have great customer service. But there are a bunch of manufacturers, Fox vs King vs SAW vs Bilstein vs Rad-flo vs FOA, etc.

You know the old saying, I just want it to work. New shocks and sway bar may be the money spot. Btw to give this more context, in addition to getting older and wanting a smother ride, the side to side really bangs the kids heads around and I want to make sure they're having fun too. <- That will impact allot of what I buy these days, 12v fridge, board water and shower, etc. Still not positive about the roof top tent, I think I'd prefer roof storage there.

Your side-to-side sway is caused by having shitty shocks with improper valving. You definitely need more rebound. Get some quality 2.5" shocks by King, FOA, or SAW, and call it good. I'd skip Fox because their customer service sucks if you aren't a big time racer and Bilstein is equally hard to work with. You can talk to whatever brand you choose techs about your truck, weight, terrain, driving behavior, and they can set you up with the proper rebound and compression valving.

If you want the utmost adjustability in ride height and spring rate, then you go coilovers. If you're happy with your coil spring rates, mounting brackets, and all that, then just go smooth bodies.

Spending lots of money on big-boy shocks and a sway bar isn't going to make your truck ride any better if you don't have proper valving.

***EDIT***

I didn't read Danny's earlier post, but it's right on the money.

Dan90FSB wrote:
Honestly I'd look at heavier valving in the shocks first.

I have the same issue at times where the truck rebounds off a rock or something and gets in this side to side bounce that lasts longer than I'd like it to, and at least for me I know part of the problem is I'm under-valved in the shocks.

I use a 255/70 Bilstein 5150, there's Toyota guys running the same shocks on trucks that are way lighter! I used to think I'd add a second of the same shock but more recently I'm just trying to find time and come up with a game plan to put coilovers up front. I also want a little more shock in the back and have mostly just been lazy in looking for a good solution there.

I'll bet 5 bucks you've got some shitty no-brand shocks and you don't even know what the valving is. Or if they are adjustable like a RS9000 or similar, most of those only adjust compression and not rebound which is likely your bigger problem in this scenario... Or if memory serves, your rear shocks were actually mounted upside down at one point such that the valving was backwards... I think you've fixed that so I'll give you some credit. Maybe. My point is your track record with paying attention to shocks is poor :goodfinger:

While the sway bar could also solve this problem, good shocks will help with ride overall, are easy to swap, don't require you to fab mounts for the sway bar and may solve the problem enough that you ditch the sway bar idea.

My 2 cents!

I'd also like to add that adding a second shock will throw all your valving out of proportion unless you go with a triple bypass.

Last edited by Stan the Man on July 24th, 2018, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 24th, 2018, 4:08 pm
Friend of UC4x4

chexmix wrote:
I’m still mulling over the shocks. My only hesitation now is that FOA shocks are not maintence free and I don’t care to add something that increases maintence requirements. Namely because I don’t have the time to be a dad, to go on trips and wrench at the same time. But also because people form a perception of how reliable a rig is by how much you work on it. Even you guys do, I stopped sharing small things failing years ago, to grow the perception that it’s reliable, and funny thing is, it has been reliable in turn. I work hard to make sure I don’t have to work on it constantly.

Shock maintenance isn't difficult and for a non-race vehicle should be minimal. You aren't racing through the desert at 80 MPH for 18 hours straight over 1000 miles. Likely, you'll need to refresh the oil, grease up the bearings in the mounts, and swap out some o-rings. You'd probably need to do this just as often as you'd have to replace bushings in budget shocks. Don't want to handle it? Take the shocks off your truck and send them in for service with $150-$200.

July 24th, 2018, 4:15 pm
UC4x4 Member

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/ ... 85177.html

August 14th, 2018, 11:18 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

California Monkey wrote:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/d/rear-sway-bar-for-ford-f150/6663085177.html

Quote:
I bought one and was sent two. It costs too much to ship back do to weight. Their loss, your gain.

LOL so essentially; [because I didn't pay for it, I'll sell it to you for $99]. I think I may actually have one laying around from the 10.25 but they're also in the junk yards.

Lead time on FOA shocks is 2 weeks, so I don't think I'll have them installed this year since my only "hardcore" trip with Owen this year will be Cantina.

August 14th, 2018, 12:04 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 732 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49