View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 12th, 2021, 12:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1072 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 72  Next
 California Monkeys' 1968 Ford Bronco build thread 
UC4x4 Member

Post California Monkeys' 1968 Ford Bronco build thread
And so it begins. It's a trend since the early years of offroad forums and clubs, eventually, people trade in the oversized, undervalued and over the top rigs for older, overpriced and much cooler rigs. I'm the first of the UC4X4 club members to do it but I'm sure I won't be the last. Here's a pic of my old rig....

1991 ford bronco XLT

And here's the new love of my life.

1968 Ford Bronco
289 V8, 3 speed manual, Dana 20 T-case, dana 30 front axle, ford 9" rear axle, 31 tires, complete body with almost no rust.

Last edited by California Monkey on December 5th, 2011, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 4th, 2011, 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: California Monkeys' 1968 Ford Bronco build thread
The drive home was eventfull with the headlight switch shorting out and smoking out the cab about 10 miles into the 2 hour trip. Of course it was night time so i drove home in the dark with no lights. I thought it a better option than the fir and smoke. I stopped and got a bunch of tools and fire extinguisher for the rest of the ride home. We instsntly tore off the doors, top and "roll cage" to make the work start easier. Also, I love my love interest topless. Justin pulled 1.5 miles of speaker wire that ran to nowhere as well as checked out all the other crappy wiring that was under the dash.
We tore into the brakes shortly after and fond the rears to be good but the front wern't great. I replaced the cylinders and pads just to be safe since I plan to be driving on stock drivetrain for a couple of months. For now, Iv'e ordered a wiring kit, gauges and a power windows kit from EZwiring.com. I also got an adjustable track bar from wild horses in stockton to again, make the stock front axle a little safer on the road. The plan is to re-wire and install the gauges while I stockpile axle, suspension, drivetrain, body lift and bumper materials.

December 5th, 2011, 12:04 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I'm picking up 3.5" front coils, refurbished radiator, winch and possibley a zf5 with dana 20 adapter. I'm looking for an electric dual radiator fan from an 80's 300e mercedes. Dana 44 and 9" full width axles. ZF5 with either a 205 or a dana 20 adapter kit, hydrolic clutch set-up. 2" body lift, wheels with whichever back spacing moves the tires more inbound so I can stay skinny. Tires, 35's - 37's whichever deal comes up first. Dodge master cylinder for brakes with line locks. Eventually a 302 EFI motor swap, seats, arb's, hood, tuffy console, custom bumpers, sliders, body armor, stereo......

I'm still trying to figure out the rear suspension lift. 3.5" lift springs would be easiest but I could probably get 3.5"'s with a shackle flip, velvet ride shackels and an anti wrap bar. The current rear driveshaft will eventualy be shortened and made into the front driveshaft. The rear is going to be something stronger and new.

December 5th, 2011, 1:20 am
Profile WWW

lookin good! :thumb:
let me know if Stalin and I can come down and give you a hand ever

December 5th, 2011, 11:12 am
UC4x4 Member

lol, thanks.

FYI, this is the best Ebay store ever. The guy is super friendly and helpfull

http://stores.ebay.com/Old-New-Parts?_t ... 4340.l2563

December 5th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Looks awesome Rich, love reading all of your updates and plans on here. Keep them coming!

December 5th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Full size FTW!!!!! You’re probably right, it’s just a matter of time ;)

I like the 9” and 44 with 35-37s, I think that makes a lot of sense in an EB. I’m wondering if you’ll be happy with your low range though. What’s the D20 low range? If you did a 205, ZF5 and 4.88 that’s ~ 56:1 which isn’t great with a manual. Granted I’m half talking out of my ass here because I don’t drive a manual rig, but my research and observation would lead me to believe you’d want your crawl to be more like 80-100:1. Also if you’re gonna run a ZF5 it seems silly to spend $500 on an adapter to the D20 when you can get a 205 from a junkyard and twin stick that instead (unless perhaps the D20 has a better low range or something else I don’t know about).

As for “how” to build it, I think with as much major stuff as you’re talking about doing it makes sense to spend a few months collecting parts and just take the thing out of commission for a while and do as much as possible at once. I know I’ve said this before, it just makes more sense to me than going in circles redoing shit because you changed your mind or some new part doesn’t work the way you thought it would, etc. Plus you’re a fast worker, spend a few months collecting all the parts, lay out a plan and have a work party or 2 and I bet you’d have the whole drivetrain done in like 2-3 months.

Looking forward to more :mrgreen:

- Confucius

December 5th, 2011, 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Between the 4 guys iv'e been picking for info who wheel their CLASSIC broncos, none of them have doublers. Most seem to run dana 20 T-cases with np 435 manuals with varying sizes of tires and gear ratios. Mark has a STAK transfer case which i like an atlas but he's also on 40+ inch tires with an automatic 3 speed.

December 5th, 2011, 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

if it were me, i would drive it around (because its fucking cool) while i collected my parts.

then i would pull all the running gear out of there

after it was completely apart i would start by doing to motor trans and tcase

then i would do suspention then i would put the body on,

and see where its going to contact and fix that issue

then interior then maybe paint

Wolfpack member #1

December 5th, 2011, 2:26 pm
UC4x4 Member

your pretty right on Zach. I plan to drive it until I have enough parts to do axles, trans and T-case, suspension and body lift. The EFI swap can wait a bit especially because the whole front clip takes about 20 minutes to strip down to the frame.

I do plan to paint it soon. Already have a super sick paint scheme picked out.

December 5th, 2011, 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

pick and pull list;
E-fan out of the mercedes
Relay and fuse block from taurus
3G alt from taurus
4x4x2 steering box - http://wcb4x4.com/tech/diyrockcrawler.shtml

Summit racing order
Ron francis dual E-fan controller
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RFW-AR99/?rtype=10

Dodge master cylinder

December 5th, 2011, 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

California Monkey wrote:
Between the 4 guys iv'e been picking for info who wheel their CLASSIC broncos, none of them have doublers. Most seem to run dana 20 T-cases with np 435 manuals with varying sizes of tires and gear ratios. Mark has a STAK transfer case which i like an atlas but he's also on 40+ inch tires with an automatic 3 speed.

Fair, like I said, I'm half talking out my ass. Remember though that the 435s are quite a bit lower than a ZF5. You made me look up D20 ratios because I wanted to play with some numbers (odd right?)...

ZF5: 5.72 * 2.34 * 4.88 = 65:1
NP435: 6.7 * 2.34 * 4.88 = 77:1

Not huge but every bit matters and I know you want to keep it streetable which means you really want the OD in the ZF5 and if you're talking 37s max you probably dont want a deeper gear than 4.88 (the ZF5 OD is not as deep as the E4OD if your comparing numbers to your old shit). I guess if you didnt like it you could buy some lower gears for the D20 and its still cheaper than a doubler or some fancy atlas/stak/whatever. Just thinking outloud...

- Confucius

December 5th, 2011, 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

that's the kind of thinking outloud that I like. Super helpfull.

Here's my first stab at a Dash design. Feel free to comment or make up one of your own.

December 5th, 2011, 8:17 pm
Profile WWW

Remember their are 2 different Dana 20's, a T shift and a J shift.
Rich should have a T shift dana 20, with a 2.46 low range.
You do need a new tranny, the stock 303 3 speeds are really dumb, like driving a prius dumb. If you want an auto go C4. If you want a stick still I'm more a NV fan, either the 3550 or a 4500.
hydraulic clutches are fail points, just stay with the manual setup. (aka avoid a ZF).

On the dash lay out, I'd ditch the speaker idea, you really can't fit anything of quality back there, if you want front speakers, hide them in the roll cage or windshield. Your top switch panel will be tight too, the top 3-4 inches of the dash has the defroster ducts, so when cutting holes you have to remember where those are.

December 6th, 2011, 8:44 am
UC4x4 Member

Seems odd to have the gauges so far away, I'd think for quick freeway glances you'd want the speedo as close to inline with the steering wheel as possible, but I'm not super familiar with the EB dashses so maybe you're totally cramped for space.

- Confucius

December 6th, 2011, 8:53 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1072 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 72  Next