View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 17th, 2021, 6:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
 California Monkeys' 1968 Ford Bronco build thread 
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: California Monkeys' 1968 Ford Bronco build thread
Lol... I love my rear shock mount. Rear soaks up the bumps amazing!

June 21st, 2016, 2:28 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Been driving the bronco everyday for a week now and so far.... it hasn't broke down! couple of issue that I have found since the the "de-bugging" stage started.
1. Weird issue.... the pitman arm is sloppy on the steering box. the nut is on good and tight so I'm not really sure whats going on. it causes a decent amount of play in the steering wheel.
2. when I cut my steering shaft I didn't know what I was doing. I also measured it for my steering wheel to be closer to the dash which I ended up pulling further twards the driver. My slip shaft doesn't have enough contact on it to be solid so it too adds to sloppy steering.
3. feering having to work under the dash more, I never mounted my steering wheel properly (issue found at Hollister). I need to mount it for good because it too is loose and causes loose steering.
4. Rear diff leaks. It still has my "frankendiff cover" I fabbed and I already bought it's replacement from ruffstuff so that's a straight forward swap.
5. when I'm wearing my work boots I need to be REALLY careful not to hit the gas and the brake at the same time.
6. With the rear having a Detroit and my suspension being softish, as I go on and off the throttle the truck can get a little unpredictable. looking into sway bars.

July 8th, 2016, 11:54 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Everday for a week is amazing! Stop and remember how much of a victory that is!

Don't worry too much about the steering, I've never seen any failures/issues with steering.

I know Isi is running one of them fancy off Currie off road sway bars and really likes it. Is the unpredictability roll related though? Maybe need more shock? Another thought is to wheel it a bit and see how those springs do. You may find they are too soft. Like when I first put the Deavers in mine and tried to load up for a wheeling trip and realized I needed more spring. Have you had any amount of weight in the back of it yet?

- Confucius

July 11th, 2016, 12:20 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Number 5 had my laughing. I feel your pain!

July 13th, 2016, 10:34 pm
UC4x4 Member

been too long since I updated this bad boy....
The bronco got brought out a couple of times for some off-road testing/fun. I realized I was uncomfortable with the doors and top on mainly because of my size and how hot it got. I sold the top and the doors and bought a set of half doors from wild horses. I'm currently working on getting a custom soft top made and i'll be swapping out my "rice rocket" seats for the corbeau's I had in the race bronco. I stopped trying to make the bronco into a daily driver on 40's and decided to put my time and energy into using it on some trips.
I installed a "lunch box locker" in the front axle, installed a new rear diff cover from ruff stuff and I also got my spare tire carrier / bumper sorted out. The 5:1 Atlas rocks and makes this bronco more like a unstoppable monster. I was only able to stall it once while in 100:1 and that was with all 4 tires bound up at the same time.
I also had to trim quite a bit of sheet metal from the back and I still have more to go on the front but so far my suspension and wheel/tire combo has been spot on for the build. I'd like to get beadlocks soon but i'm pretty sure that isn't going to happen until I get some new tires.
I'm currently adding hydro assist as well as a fuel line vent system as those were the two biggest issues I ran into while running slick rock last month. I also replaced my alternator which crapped out on me and left a 1/4 mile shy of getting on my trailer.

Attachments:
1968 on slick rock.jpg
1968 on slick rock.jpg [ 3.09 MiB | Viewed 8502 times ]
1968 at hollister for flex testing.jpg
1968 at hollister for flex testing.jpg [ 80.46 KiB | Viewed 8502 times ]

August 5th, 2017, 12:19 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Great to see it killing it on the trails!

- Confucius

August 5th, 2017, 9:04 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

For someone who is concerned about the longevity of this forum, I feel like this thread is missing some updates... :P

March 19th, 2018, 9:34 am
Profile WWW

chexmix wrote:
For someone who is concerned about the longevity of this forum, I feel like this thread is missing some updates... :P

Doh!

March 19th, 2018, 2:25 pm
UC4x4 Member

chexmix wrote:

You bought a jeep and didn't mention it on the forum.... come on guy

I've been too busy wrenching to update the thread. Next month looks like a busy one too.

March 20th, 2018, 12:24 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Some trip pics

Attachments:
File comment: Snow wheeling to uncle toms march 2018
20180311_140825.jpg
20180311_140825.jpg [ 4.77 MiB | Viewed 8275 times ]
File comment: Rubicon 2017
20170828_124010.jpg
20170828_124010.jpg [ 5.64 MiB | Viewed 8275 times ]

March 20th, 2018, 12:30 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

about a year and a half ago I bought tube doors off of wild horses along with their S.S. hinge kit.

These are great because they are powdercoated and have a nice arm rest built into them.

Then, about a 4 months ago, I decided I wanted doors again but this time, I would build them the way I wanted them.

instead of going the wing window route, I went for the one piece kit. I have always felt cramped in my bronco being a taller, larger guy and these windows rolled down compared to my old wing windows makes it seem a lot less stuffy. Everything went together great and when I had a question about the install Mike was really quick to get back to me.

If building doors from scratch (not modifying previously working window doors), You will want to order up the lower bumper and bracket, lower window felt track which needs to be modified to fit around the upper window frame bolt and window cranks. I'll post the link to those

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/One-Piece-Door-Window-Kit-68-77-only/Early_Bronco_windows

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Rear_Window_Track_Left_Door/Early_Bronco_Weather_Stripping

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Rear_Window_Track_Right_Door/Early_Bronco_Weather_Stripping

2X https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Window-Stop-Bracket-66-77/Early_Bronco_windows

2X https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Lower_Door_Glass_Bumper/Bronco_Door_Parts_68-77

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Window_Crank_w_knob_Import_w_Black_Knob_6877yr/Bronco_Door_Parts_68-77

How to modify the tracks if doing what i did

On the doors, both of these need to be cut out for the window weather strip to fit in place. I used a cutting wheel and a new blade to cut them out

Then you have to make room for the different regulator. It sits flat so you have to remove the recess and drill a hole for the top mount.

Only "customizing" I had to do was on the driver side I had this nub interfere with the window going all the way up and I had to take a flapper wheel to it to keep it from making contact

finished product

forgive the lack of paint work (made this trip a lot nicer with the windows up)

Old door set up looked like

April 26th, 2018, 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Before we did the rubicon in 2017... I had to get some stuff done that had been sitting on my todo list for far too long...

Rear bumper spare tire and gas can (40's are really heavy)

And Hydro assist steering. I had sent my box out to redneck ram place in texas and had them do the full rebuild, port and tap for hydro. I also purchased their ram kit which was great. I opted to get a linkage mount from chassis unlimited as I wasn't confident in my ability to get it right the first time. I ended up making a cylinder stop out of flat washers and nylon washers. I was told it wasn't necessary because once you max out the pump it will bypass the fluid so it doesn't self destruct. I like it on there as an insurance policy.

I also needed to mount my high lift which can be tricky in a EB. I ended up buying 2" DJ clamps for hanging lights and speakers. Cheap and easy to move around.

My gas tank leaked pretty bad on a previous trip so I added this super fancy gas tank vent with the vent line going from the tank, up the driver side tail light enclosure, back down to the frame, up to the engine compartment into this vent. It still leaked.... a lot

I also finished up my York wiring (one of the switches in my roll cage switch panel) and I ended up just drilling and tapping the head of the york so I didn't have to do anything stupid with fitting or hoses. I opted for a pressure washer hose for the air line because they are rated for super high temps and pressures. It's harder to coil up but its good for the temp and oil as well as it can't kink.

April 27th, 2018, 12:13 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I just went through a new wheel and tire debacle with me trying out a different back spacing. I bought a set of 17" beadlocks off of craigslist for steal of a deal. DIY beadlocks that had already been welded and were powder coated black. they ended up being 3.5" back spacing which I didn't realize was going to be such an issue for a couple of reasons. Mostly because it would cause new clearance issues on the front tires rubbing the front bumper, fender flares and fenders while flexing. Also, I could no longer load the bronco on my trailer without fabricating drive over fenders of modifying them some other way. As it is now I have removable fenders but I can drive between them when I don't feel like pulling a fender off. The third reason is the increased chance of getting pulled over for tires sticking out past the fenders and not running mud flaps. I refuse to mount mud flaps so I need to keep it as close to legal as possible.

40-13.5R17 nitto trail grapplers

mounted with the rings painted the red the bronco is supposed to be

Luckily I was able to sell them for what I had into putting them together which gave me a "redo" and so I have gone the other way with the back spacing. I went to 5.5" back spacing on a set of raceline monster RT232 17x8.5

To be mounted when I can buy tires again. cash in hand from the sale of the wheels went towards soft top and doors build so I could go snow wheeling.

April 27th, 2018, 12:44 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Nice forum update! That compressor setup looks hot! :mrgreen:

April 27th, 2018, 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Nice man. Digging those Racelines. I’m tempted to buy a set since my Allieds are so damn heavy. You going to buy another set of Nittos?

April 27th, 2018, 8:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 1072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next