View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 17th, 2021, 6:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
 California Monkeys' 1968 Ford Bronco build thread 
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: California Monkeys' 1968 Ford Bronco build thread
A marathon of an update!

- Confucius

April 27th, 2018, 8:41 pm
Profile WWW

California Monkey wrote:
I ended up making a cylinder stop out of flat washers and nylon washers.

One of my trips on the Rubicon there was a Land Cruiser with hydro assist that pushed too far and broke the steering knuckle off, they were preparing to weld it back on.

April 28th, 2018, 1:31 pm
UC4x4 Member

Like with everything with this bronco... this next project snowballed into a massive project.

It started when I finished my doors and threw some paint on them from the same can my initial paint job had. A nice dark red and off white... as you can see, Krylon faded pretty bad..

So then I talked to my neighbor who's been painting fenders and hood as a hobby to see if he would be interested in painting the bronco and he was ecstatic. With a thought in my head about how much it was going to cost in paint materials (huge mistake), I started the tear down..

First parts came off were the doors which I had just finished assembling.... had to tear those all down which was a bummer as it all was just put together and working perfectly. Then came the tailgate...I didn't realize how rough it was...

Got it sand blasted..

So I bought a new one of those....

Then came the hood which was a hand me down from "weldnmn" which is ok but not good enough for a nice paint job. It had tares and repairs in it plus the hood pins were way off from each other (don't drink and install hood pins)

So I bought a new one of those....

Then there was the windshield frame which was good from afar... but far from good. Tons of extra screw holes, rusted out windshield hold down bolt area and bent pretty bad...

sand blasted with the grill

I patched it up, welded all the holes up and then had to literally jump up and down on it to straighten it out. Not too bad now.

Then the fenders which I have cut and moved metal around on for the elongated wheelbase. They are rough front and back so these will probably be the parts that show how much I suck at body work the most....

The grill is good shape but it has a lot of voids and contours to sand so this sanding took about 5 hours...

All laid out for primer....

This is where the story sucks a little. As I was block sanding I would sometimes sand down to bare metal and when I did that I would touch it up with a can of primer I had on the shelf that was a bit darker than the primer we sprayed initially... Not knowing this was going to be a problem, the first door was painted and the spots where I touched it up showed like blotchy spots. Set that one aside to dry so it would be sanded and redone later, my neighbor re-primed the other door and gave it a lite sanding. He then painted it and he found out that you can't lite sand filler primer.... it needs to be blocked. So both doors needed to be sanded back down, re-primed, block sanded again and then painted... again. Luckily the doors are easier to sand and paint and we didn't do the whole truck at once like I wanted to.

Finally the doors were ready for paint so we gave it another try... finally great success.....

As time allows we are going to get the panels painted and eventually the rear quarter panels so I can get it all back together.

BTW.... $950 in paint, $750 for hood and tailgate, $200 in sand paper, bondo ect... and $125 in sanders and sanding blocks. And it isn't done yet. I thought this might cost $500 when I started.

May 25th, 2018, 7:57 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Spendy but looks good from here. You're doing that EB some justice with proper paint though.

May 26th, 2018, 7:57 pm

It feels good to have new paint on an old rig.

May 27th, 2018, 8:14 am
UC4x4 Member

Thanks. it's getting there. the neighbor whos spraying it for me is kind of learning on the job and he's gotten unlucky with his paint gun. He just dropped $250 on a new gun.... which comes with a new learning curve of how to use the new gun.

About half of the body panels are painted and good to go. Still need the rear of the tub and hood and tailgate. Pics coming soon

June 6th, 2018, 6:50 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

making progress.... slowly. My neighbor is getting better at painting which is great but now he's looking for perfection and its causing the process to stall out a bit. All thats the left is the hood (which has been painted but didn't turn out good enough) and the rear quarter panels.

June 16th, 2018, 7:13 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Damn dude...looks fantastic. She's going to be too pretty to wheel!

Last edited by #S194 on June 20th, 2018, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 17th, 2018, 1:27 pm

That’s what they said about mine, it didn’t stop me.

June 19th, 2018, 11:13 pm
UC4x4 Member

painting the bronco has been a learning experience to say the least. basically painted everything twice for various reasons and then finally went all in with a one time everything gets painted at once as we were having trouble (because of our being new and learning) getting the color to match and to look right. Finally... its painted and except for the cut and buff.... its done.

July 14th, 2018, 8:55 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

still not done but i drove it out of the garage to clean the garage out. Still needs front blinkers, hood pins, rear plate mount and a little more trimming on one fender. Really happy with the paint, new raceline beadlocks and toyos. Biggest problem I'm having now is that everything i'm bolting back on looks like junk....

The years of grinder and welding slag inbeded in the flares... I was able to sand and polish them back to like new condition

installed the windshield with the help of some buddies. It wasn't hard but it wasn't easy either. Mainly stressful as we didn't really know what we were doing.

July 25th, 2018, 11:51 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

doors are painted but I havn't put them back together yet or on the truck for that matter. I drove the bronco to work and the steering is sloppy but otherwise runs and drives great.

August 8th, 2018, 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

$400 costway fridge and new power plug for it. Used it on the rubicon and it's sweet!

August 22nd, 2018, 2:52 pm
Profile WWW

California Monkey wrote:
$400 costway fridge and new power plug for it. Used it on the rubicon and it's sweet!

Hmmmm

September 11th, 2018, 8:37 am
UC4x4 Member

Thinking the same thing

September 13th, 2018, 3:36 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1072 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next