View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 12th, 2021, 12:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next
 Dans 1990 Bronco build thread 
UC4x4 Member

Post Dans 1990 Bronco build thread
It just occurred to me I don’t really have a current build thread and rather than continuously making different ones for different projects, I’m gonna do a big-ol one and stick with it for a while, so here goes…

Current status: broken and partially disassembled in my driveway :mrgreen: with a mountain of parts and projects in the garage… But I’m getting ahead of myself…

Presidents day I drove it to Carnegie and wheeled a bit with Peter, drove home, no problems. Last Friday (4 days after said trip) I decided to drive it to work as I periodically do to knock the flat spots off the tires. So I drive through town, its running great, I hit 101 and when I get to about 40MPH, worse death wobble ever (well basically only ever), I slow down and then speed up again to see if its gone or just a certain speed and it gets even worse. So I exit and take the back roads home, hope in the ol’ faithful Focus and head off to work.

Last night I started tearing the front end apart and found the passenger lower ball joint has a solid ½” of play in it so it’s time for new ball joints. While I was at it I also noticed the C bushing on the passenger side is split and starting to fall out (as Peter will vividly remember the driver C bushing cracked and fell out coming down Cadillac Hill in 2010 and we spent 3ish hours replacing it on some rickety logs and a high lift). So also time for new C bushings (gonna do both). Wheel bearings are new, locker, gears and carrier bearings have been serviced recently, u joints are newish and brakes look good so the rest of the axle should be OK. Just time for some maintenance it appears. So that’s step 1…

Once it’s up and running again I’m hoping to get in a snow wheeling trip and then put up a craigslist ad for the E4OD (anyone interested?) because… I bought a 203-205 doubler from Rich and have had a ZF5 sitting in the garage for about 2 years, so it’s time to finally put in a real transmission and T-case set up. I’d like to get the ZF5/doubler set up done and truck running again by June 30. I’ve done some initial measuring and thinking, the ZF-203-205 combo is only 2” longer than the E4OD-1356 combo. I think the E4OD crossmember will fit the ZF5 and just have to be moved forward a few inches, which could actually be a challenge since the Cage arm mounts occupy the same real estate. Twin stick the 205, cut a hole in the floor, fab some shifters, correct driveshaft length, bing bang boom, done, simple right? :mrgreen:

A few other things that need to get done before any serious wheeling trips (IE summer dusy / con):
- Box rear shackles
- Permanent compressor set up for ARB (think I just might buy the little ARB compressor since they’re so quiet)
Some other things I’d like to do:
- Move my rear shocks to the front and run double 5150s up front and get a stiffer shock in the rear, more like a 350/110(ish) valving.
- Front bump stops need tweaking, don’t line up well and a little too short.
- Could use a new rear bumper but as ugly as the current one is its still serving its purpose.

Long post, I know, just kinda thinking outloud. Time to start working on this pig again…

- Confucius

February 28th, 2012, 10:38 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: Dans 1990 Bronco build thread
About time you had a single place for you pile of junk! Looks like a good start, since we both have the same gear to install, we should have a zf5 / double install party!!! (your house not mine) ;)

What's your permanent air solution? I know you have a tank, but are you thinking of running off that or a york or anther electric compressor?

Dan90FSB wrote:
Presidents day I drove it to Carnegie and wheeled a bit with Peter, drove home, no problems.

I see how it is, no love! I wheeled way harder then that girl in the buggy!

February 28th, 2012, 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

chexmix wrote:
About time you had a single place for you pile of junk! Looks like a good start, since we both have the same gear to install, we should have a zf5 / double install party!!! (your house not mine) ;)

I think I've told you before, first week of driveway rent is free :wink:

chexmix wrote:
What's your permanent air solution? I know you have a tank, but are you thinking of running off that or a york or anther electric compressor?

I'd like a york but its farther down the list just due to time. The CO2 tank works really well and has surprised me with number of tire fills, I think I can do mine from 10-30 about 6 times. For now I'm gonna do a small electric for the ARB and use the CO2 for the tires. For "permanent" OBA I think the York makes more sense than electric. A 100% duty cycle electric that matches a York for CFM is not only expensive, but draws so much power you need the motor running anyway for the alternator, just makes sense to go with the York for OBA duties. It'll happen eventually...

Dan90FSB wrote:
Presidents day I drove it to Carnegie and wheeled a bit with Peter, drove home, no problems.
chexmix wrote:
I see how it is, no love! I wheeled way harder then that girl in the buggy!

I only mentioned those who wheeled ;)

- Confucius

February 28th, 2012, 5:18 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I'll stay tuned to this. Can I join in on your zf party?

February 28th, 2012, 6:25 pm
UC4x4 Member

Yup, same deal as Justin, first week of driveway rental is free :D

- Confucius

February 28th, 2012, 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Busy weekend, unfortunately my camera is broken so no :pics:

In short, front end is back together, truck is driveable again, even made it to work today!

Longer version, I replaced the passenger ball joints which were SHOT. I also bought a replacement wheel hub, mine had some play on the inner race and ive been using a duct tape shim for a while now (not proud of it but its worked!) I went to mount the new hub to the rotor and the wheel studs dont fit! The new hub is for 9/16" studs and I had 1/2" I soon realized the F350 Peter and I had just bought for parts had 9/16" front wheel studs so I borrowed them. Also borrowed the outer front wheel bearing from the 60 which is the same as my 44 inner. Wasnt my intention with the "parts truck" but I guess its lived up to its name so far... :mrgreen:

So the truck is currently completely functional. Plan is still to get in a snow trip, sell the E4OD while still in the truck and then rip it out for the buyer and start the doubler install. I will more than likely hold off on the 60 until next year as I'll need the time, money and a plan!

- Confucius

March 12th, 2012, 2:56 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I drove the truck to work ALL LAST WEEK!!! AND... It didnt break down! :mrgreen: This weekend I adressed a small power steering leak with a fresh input shaft seal on the box. Also tightened a leaking trans hose, checked all fluid levels and fixed the non-working stereo, I think I'm ready for some snow!

Also had a brief feeling of "in over my head" this weekend when the Focus was in pieces (passenger CV and wheel bearing), the bronco was leaking fluid everywhere and theres a fugly F350 slowly losing parts in my yard and the garage was a mess of parts and tools from 2 days of wrenching... Just gotta take it a step at a time...

- Confucius

March 19th, 2012, 7:53 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Busy weekend of wrenching... Nolan helped me all day Saturday to tear into the F350. We got the bed off, fuel tanks out (and 3.5 gallons in my truck :mrgreen:) receiver, rear bumper, driveshaft, steering, shocks, lots of good progress... Oh and yes it was raining on us all day, fun!

I got the sterling out and examined it and I think its a Detroit, It's got some numbers stamped on it but none of them cross reference to the detroit part numbers, however it could be an older model.

Sunday I organized the garage a bit and started tearing apart the doubler. I wrongly assumed that there was no fluid in any of the cases. Wrong! So after making a huge mess I properly drained and seperated the trans. I then used the cherry picker peter brought over to hang the 203-205 and drain them

The fluid coming out of them looked decent, which is good since I'll actually be using them. I then seperated the 203 and it left a gear on the input spline to the 205 and there were some roller bearings that fell out and into the bottom of the case. It was right around then that I realized I dont have a clue what I'm doing with this thing! :mrgreen:

Got the 205 seperated and adapter plate removed so everything is torn down at this point...

If you're wondering why I took this all apart, 2 reasons. The real reason is I want to twin stick the 205 and the shift rails wont come out with the 203 and the adapter bolted up, and the other reason is I wanted to have a look at things and try to catch any issues before its installed.

And yes, thats a nail holding the shift rail pin in on the 205. Quality!

So now I need to order a flywheel and a clutch, I've got the hydraulics, pedal assembly and steering column already. Then I need to figure out how to put the doubler back together and figure out what I'm gonna do for shifters for the doubler, I'll need 3 just like all the cool Jeepers!

- Confucius

March 25th, 2012, 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

You should take the front hanger foe the rear leafs off that truck. Put it on the rear with a shackle for a factory bracket shackle flip

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

March 25th, 2012, 9:04 pm
Friend of UC4x4

Oh... and I know you already have a shackle flip... I was thinking more along the lines of someone else could use it.

And your progress looks good. I can not wait to get my house and start building a new rig

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

March 25th, 2012, 9:07 pm
UC4x4 Member

Experienced a slightly frightening death wobble on a freeway ramp saturday, I tore the front end apart looking for answers and found nothing. Well almost nothing, driver u-joint was trashed so I replaced it. I've drove it since and couldnt perfectly re-create it. I think its a left turn at aprox 50 (basically only gonna happen on a freeway ramp) that does it. Pretty sure the problem is in the tires and the bead balancing. My bead balancing has worked mediocre at best. I can't see spending $100+ to have tires balanced several times a year because weights follow off or the tire shifts on the rim, so I think I'll be sticking with bead balancing, but I certainly dont love it. I'm hoping some new tires might make it a little better.

- Confucius

April 30th, 2012, 7:53 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Did you check the tre's / knuckle reaming and the track bar hiems?

April 30th, 2012, 10:00 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Yup. Because I haven't in a while, I checked the torque on both track bar johnny joints, all TRE's, the C-cap bolts on the cage arms, the arm bolts on the cage arms and the heims, the big nut on the pitman arm and the springs and shocks. Everything checked out, lock washwers FTW!

- Confucius

April 30th, 2012, 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

where are you using lock washers? I'm having trouble with some bolts coming loose and I'm thinking lock washers are the answer too.

April 30th, 2012, 1:19 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

USE THEM ANYWHERE.

A lock washer is never a bad idea. I use Nyloc nuts whenever possible, also loctite isnt a bad idea.

Last edited by Ptack1 on April 30th, 2012, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 30th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 696 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 47  Next