View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 17th, 2021, 5:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47
 Dans 1990 Bronco build thread 
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: Dans 1990 Bronco build thread
Nice work. Careful with those nice tires, you might find yourself driving it more!

June 12th, 2017, 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

It's the voodoo rope, there was no rope on it and I had to put one on, figured it was the least I could do for them ;)

Yeah its amazing how much nicer it is to drive on the street... I caught myself doing 75 on the way home last night. The IROKs had a terminal velocity of about 65, much after that and I think the shaking could through the planets out of alignment.

- Confucius

June 13th, 2017, 7:50 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Nice. Looking good buddy

June 14th, 2017, 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Impressive work. I don’t think I’ve read this much since high school (Lord of the Flies).

September 28th, 2017, 11:36 pm

Fresno had a Stan The Man's 4WD shop back in the eighties.

September 29th, 2017, 2:31 pm
UC4x4 Member

So there is life after UA it turns out. I had a few things to fix so I got to doing that over the summer (this is back in July - August)

I sold off my IROKs to make some room in the garage. So I'm committed to the Falkens for now. Honestly they're working well for me, I just want a little more diameter since the truck is so big

I tore the front end apart. One of my Yukon hubs was sticking on the trip so I was running a Warn spare, that was mostly held on by duct tape because I was missing about half of the bolts to hold the selector and, of course, the Yukons are different. I figured as long as I was going in I'd check wheel bearings, doesn't take long.

The Yukons have a nice tight fit in the locking mechanism, where these teeth come together, and there was some dried up grease that was actually sticking them together instead of lubricating, so I cleaned them up and used a slightly thinner grease to put it back together. I was using wheel bearing grease originally and I think its too thick.

Unlocked

Slight aside, but looking at the Warn and Yukon hubs side by side on the bench the strength difference is obvious. The Yukons just have the 2 pieces shown above and they are heavy. The Warn uses 3 different pieces, the outer most piece and the middle piece are similar to the Yukon and look strong. The problem is the 3rd piece on the very inside of the hub is flimsy and is a key part of the locking mechanism.

The Yukons are the same price or cheaper, don't stick at as far from the wheel hub so they are safer inside the rim and, in my expert analysis of the design, way the hell stronger. I have no affiliation with Yukon, just giving credit to what I think is a better design.

Then I put in a red head steering box I actually bought before UA and didn't find time to install.

Messy...

I also swapped out my hydro ram mount for this kind with the threaded female bung from PSC.

2 pictures up you can see the ghetto fab bracket I made, which was technically double shear but a nightmare to install because it was hard to get to the bolts. I was a little nervous of the 4 bolt design of the new style but a ton of the rigs on UA had them with no issues and I have not had issues yet.

And with that, the truck was UA fixed, and ready for...

- Confucius

November 30th, 2017, 11:17 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47