View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 17th, 2021, 7:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Jeep CJ2A project 
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: Jeep CJ2A project
The more I see yours the more I want an old jeep to play with!

- Confucius

October 23rd, 2015, 7:03 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

So the block from the first jeep I shot (crack in #4 cylder wall) RIP. Almost anything is repairable, but the bar is set a about $3k max for engine rebuilds, as you can buy them assembled for that much and this block would probably exceed that. With that said, I picked up another civilian engine the other day, although it didn't have the standard low compression head... Instead in a stroke of random luck, it's a super sonic head! (Back in the 40's, that meant a fast four banger!) I'm going to try to fire it up first before I rebuild it. ;)

October 26th, 2015, 8:09 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Wow I wrench slow.. :'(

But I fired over the super sonic engine for a second or two tonight! There is no water and it was kinda late so I didn't try it again. I'll kick it over again in the morning. I have a little extra now that the little truck has a new home, so I'm going to start peeping the organge jeep to sale next.

Good times, working with what you have!

December 29th, 2015, 9:50 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Very cool. Sometimes keeping this old stuff going is pretty fun.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

December 29th, 2015, 11:33 pm
UC4x4 Member

That looks like a set up straight out of Henry's engine shop :mrgreen:

This old stuff does have a certain awesome factor to it!

- Confucius

December 30th, 2015, 9:27 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Wow, I've done almost nothing to this thing since the con two years ago! It's like surprisingly reliable! So to catch-up I have some work I've been putting off:
- new battery (pnp special! Great price for Bosch battery marked only 2 years old!)
- oil change and add filter! Can you believe that oil filters were optional! I actually have the fram housing but didn't have the right cartridge before the con.
- reseal leaking oil pan. When I swapped the engine, I never resealed it so it's like 30 years old seal.
- driver side rear wheel cylinder. Junk Chinese part leaking after only 2 years.
- swap gas tank and add squeak mat. Looks like the original 70 year tank finally has a pin hole and it's sweating on the floorboard (no drips). Ryan gave me an after market tank, he wants the original factory stamped tank to repair.
- going to change fluid on everything in the future, water in everything! Last time I packed the front bearings, I used water proof grease so I should be good there.

Here is a photo u may have already seen, because people like photos!
Attachment:
IMG_5719.JPG
IMG_5719.JPG [ 1.82 MiB | Viewed 11228 times ]

July 3rd, 2017, 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Cool get together

July 3rd, 2017, 8:55 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Since I swapped the engine quickly, basicly 2 years back, those really old cork gaskets that came with it are failing. I resealed the oil pan with black RTV (after having the scrape off some old orange RTV I had that failed to cure after days). While there, gave her a new oil change. I don't know the condition of the bearings but I get 60psi oil pressure on my test drive! Also a new internal C3P oil filter carerage. While wrenching on it, I replaced a leaking wheel cylinder. These reproduction parts (omnix ada, was in there and tried replacing with centrix) can be pretty bad sometimes and my first part leaked off the shelf. Overseas junk. Too bad Raybestos old factory is an asbestos super fund site, I don't think their parts are made in the states anymore, but they do seem to have better QA still. Drives great, although I see I have another oil leak new the fuel pump now. Ryan mentioned to me that some days his 2a seem to just want to be driven and others, it's begging for the crusher! Lol

Unrelated but relate: If your not aware, I have another 2a I'm now working on. I have two spare go devil engines so I'm dropping one in to fire it up too. Plan is to drive it for a little bit to work out the kinks and then sell it.

August 12th, 2017, 9:41 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Another update, first let's get names strait: the green jeep is called Patina, the orange jeep is Furiosa. Just easier to use their names!

Now the two girls (jeeps) have a trip coming up, the vintage iron snow run!

Furiosa is ready to rock, I pulled the running engine from Patina and returned it to its home in Furiosa. I also hand bent all new brake lines for the entire jeep! I'd buy a kit if I did it again for a stock rig. ;) So she's driving now and ready to rock.
Attachment:
IMG_8123.JPG
IMG_8123.JPG [ 2.41 MiB | Viewed 11023 times ]

Patina is getting a Kiaser L4 supersonic engine! For the uninitiated, it will look like the same engine, but was used in cars after Willys merged with Kaiser and has a higher compression head! :D Also stole the radiator and gas tank to get Furiosa running, so I have brand new ones for Patina. Just panted the engine last night, but I've previously had it running so I'm confident.
Attachment:
IMG_8133.JPG
IMG_8133.JPG [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 11023 times ]

January 5th, 2018, 9:55 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Almost forgot, I have new seats for Furiosa also, she's a blast to drive.

January 5th, 2018, 9:58 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

whats the reasoning behind taking from the green jeep to get the orange jeep running?

January 5th, 2018, 5:53 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

California Monkey wrote:
whats the reasoning behind taking from the green jeep to get the orange jeep running?

A tabo I normally follow, I don't pull from a running vehicle to fix a broken one. But in this case, I wanted to drop in this faster engine. Once I crossed that boundary, I needed a gas tank and radiator. Do I give the brand new stuff to the jeep I'm selling or put the new parts in the jeep I plan on keeping longer? :D

January 7th, 2018, 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13