View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 18th, 2021, 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 project batty 

Post project batty
well i figure it may be time to start my own real build thread. now that i actually have some money to throw into the pit.

Some things I need to take care of, not in any real order, are things that need to be taken care of. Others are things I want to do. Mine is going to be in a different style, but it's how I'm going to keep myself organized and on track and keep my head cool while working on the truck. I have had way to many jobs at Mack feel like they were overwhelming just because there were so many other variables. Once i broke it into section though those jobs in particular became much more simple and were quite easy to handle. Also since I work for a dealer, its do it right or don't bother touching the truck. I'll be typing my notes into these pages as well in case there happens to be a longer period of time in between working days that are available for the truck. I don't want to forget where I left off.

So, top of the list.
charging system needs to get working again
install central junction box for aux. relays and fuses (http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H84988007-4 ... B000VUEDXY http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems- ... 000MMH1GC/)
replace failed plastic wire insulation
replace failed vacuum lines
install new brake components
relocate TFI module.
clean IAT
mallory ign. box?
new 6 inch lift packs for rear
consider... SAS
high torque stater
zf swap?
intake manifold heat spacer?
fuel nozzles from 5.0 explorer
new air filter/snorkel setup

so then... on to it

Charging system.
Complaint: Driving home from work at about 9:30pm I notice that everything starts to get dim in the truck and battery light slowly starts to appear and flicker momentarily. truck then picks up power and runs fine for several more minutes and then problems again. Was able to get truck home but would not crank again.

Correction: visual inspection note: alternator not factory (3G swap has been performed.) harness has been modified to work with alternator. Battery appears good. No corrosion or moisture noticed anywhere. belt is present and in good condition. alternator does not look burned or damaged. end visual.
volt. at batt. 10.4V.
alt. case to batt. resistance. less than 10 ohms.
alt. charge cable to starter relay. less than 10 ohms
starter relay to starter relay to batt. less than 10 ohms
lost light. took battery out and put on charger. cleaned terminals and battery clamps.

Installed battery ran truck. Starts fine.

Charging with no load measuring battery posts is 14.5 and slowly drops by .02 about every 5 minutes.

With heater on high air comprrssor running stereo on headlights on extra lights on tranny fan on and gauge on it starts at 13.76 and drops about .04 every 3 minutes.

.7v drop from alt to batt hot. Ground volyage drop .2v

Need to remove alternator and test clean ground and replace power cables and possibly mega fuse.

so. tomorrow morning ill see what else i can find. I'll try and test the remaining wires in the circuit.

Last edited by jasonhughes2009 on November 19th, 2013, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 18th, 2013, 7:42 pm
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: project batty
Good to see you working on the rig again. Excellent process of elimination.

I'm sure you can test it at work but if not, Autozone can test it for free.

November 18th, 2013, 9:04 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks man. Unfortunately I cannot test it at work. We dont have a bench test system. Id have to get the entire truck there to put an induction clamp on it and measure the output at different rpms. I will be taking it to autozone/oriellys depending on what charging voltage/starter voltage drop I get.

November 19th, 2013, 8:13 am

Updated. Found this for future reference too
http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/attachm ... iagram.gif

Charging with no load measuring battery posts is 14.5 and slowly drops by .02 about every 5 minutes.

With heater on high air comprrssor running stereo on headlights on extra lights on tranny fan on and gauge on it starts at 13.76 and drops about .04 every 3 minutes.

November 19th, 2013, 5:20 pm
UC4x4 Member

sounds like an intermittent regulator failing on the back of the 3G

November 19th, 2013, 5:28 pm
Profile WWW

California Monkey wrote:
sounds like an intermittent regulator failing on the back of the 3G

Quite possible. Im open to all suggestions .

Rich do you know for sure if it was a 130 or 95amp 3G you put on?

November 19th, 2013, 7:30 pm
UC4x4 Member

Wild guess is 130amp, you can tell by the case. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55169

Troubleshoot battery charging issues:
- Charge the battery, reinstall and start truck.
- Measure voltage across battery terminals (should be roughly 13Vs, any less and it's discharging.)
- Stop engine, preform wiggle test tugging each cable and reseating (unplug, replug) all connectors. Look for loose pins that may exit connector when reconnecting and cause intermittent issue.
- Preform above voltage test again, does the issue persist?

- If so, remove alt and take to be tested (regulator is internal so no other testing is needed if it passes, may be worth your time to test the battery at the same time).
- If alt passed, reinstall, again does the issue persist when running?
- If so, it's now environmental to the truck, observe bad cables and test ohms for bad fuse links.

November 19th, 2013, 7:56 pm
Profile WWW

chexmix wrote:
Wild guess is 130amp, you can tell by the case. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55169

Troubleshoot battery charging issues:
- Charge the battery, reinstall and start truck. Done
- Measure voltage across battery terminals (should be roughly 13Vs, any less and it's discharging.) 20 minutes of run time under load and it drops into the 12v range
- Stop engine, preform wiggle test tugging each cable and reseating (unplug, replug) all connectors. Look for loose pins that may exit connector when reconnecting and cause intermittent issue. i have less than 250mA parasitic draw. However since i already purches electrical parts cleaner, It is going to be my next step to go through and clean all the connectors
- Preform above voltage test again, does the issue persist?

- If so, remove alt and take to be tested (regulator is internal so no other testing is needed if it passes, may be worth your time to test the battery at the same time). most likely happening thursday
- If alt passed, reinstall, again does the issue persist when running?
- If so, it's now environmental to the truck, observe bad cables and test ohms for bad fuse links.

November 20th, 2013, 12:30 am
UC4x4 Member

Sounds like it's time for a new alternator.

- Confucius

November 20th, 2013, 7:45 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

what kind of battery is it. at work we had alot of issues with interstate and especially optijunk batteries. they would bench test good and alternators would test good but they would start to act up after long periods of high loads. (big stereos played loud) we went to a new batteries and the problem went away. it sounds like your alternator is having issues too but if the battery is < steller it can take out an alternator

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

November 20th, 2013, 9:03 am
UC4x4 Member

Its probably still a 3 year old vauto zone slosh box.

November 20th, 2013, 12:06 pm
Profile WWW

Optima battery purchased in 2012. I'm going to reinstall battery again and Park truck in a better position and start tearing apart the front end to rewire the auxiliaries. I think I'll go get new insulation soon and paint them either mack engine red or volvo engine green

Appears to be the 130 amp. ill get it tested tomorrow morning hopefully. Should it fail I will call around and see how much i can get a new 130/160A one for with my wholesale account.

November 20th, 2013, 8:36 pm
UC4x4 Member

It is a 130 amp 3g from a Taurus

November 21st, 2013, 4:55 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

jasonhughes2009 wrote:
Optima battery purchased in 2012.

May have found the problem, my last few Optima's have brought the suck big time. Unfortunately their quality has gone way down hill in the last few years.

- Confucius

November 21st, 2013, 7:50 am
Profile WWW

Dan90FSB wrote:
jasonhughes2009 wrote:
Optima battery purchased in 2012.

May have found the problem, my last few Optima's have brought the suck big time. Unfortunately their quality has gone way down hill in the last few years.

was able to get the optima warrantied. but still get the voltage drop with the load on.

November 21st, 2013, 8:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next