View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 12th, 2021, 11:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ed's Travelall winch mount bumper 

Post Ed's Travelall winch mount bumper
This is why I've reported no progress on my truck in the last week.

Found a Warn winch mount bumper on a Chevy at Pick N Pull, mocked it up to see about adapting it.

I took measurements and visualized what I have to do to make it work, already have what I need.

Made angle brackets and bolted them to the side plates, tack welded the spacers, clamped to frame plate to see how it looks.

The winch was too high in the mount here, causing the bumper to be too low on the vehicle. Because it's PTO, the input shaft dictates the placement of the winch itself. I put it as close to the bottom of the frame as I can. Also, because of the direction the driveshaft turns in the forward gears, the cable will be pulled in over the top of the drum.

Had to add plate extending up higher to get the roller fairlead where it needs to be, that meant cutting off the lip (bend) in the original front plate. Will be welding the back support angle to the side pieces of the bumper (the pieces that extend forward from the frame). The spacers on the above picture will also be welded together, and to the mount.

My son and I worked on this yesterday and today.

Gonna weld the two front plates together.

Gonna weld the 3/8" angle (the red piece) to the plate bolted to the front of the frame, you can see the clamp holding them together.

Already started to look at the driveshaft too, ordered a few u joint yokes today, already have a carrier bearing.

December 29th, 2014, 7:44 pm
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: Ed's Travelall winch mount bumper
I'd love to have a pto winch for the jeep! My uncle offered me one, but it's too huge.

December 30th, 2014, 12:30 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Nice junkyard find! Love it when you come across cool, useful stuff like that. I presume the T-case and/or trans in your truck have a PTO output?

BTW how many IH's do you have lying around? We're up to at least 2, and I see another 8 lug hub on a yellow truck in the background of one of those pics!

- Confucius

December 30th, 2014, 9:01 am
Profile WWW

Dan90FSB wrote:
Nice junkyard find! Love it when you come across cool, useful stuff like that. I presume the T-case and/or trans in your truck have a PTO output?

BTW how many IH's do you have lying around? We're up to at least 2, and I see another 8 lug hub on a yellow truck in the background of one of those pics!

I put a PTO on the transfer case earlier this year, that will allow pulling in gears one through five, feeding out in reverse.

The yellow Scout belongs to my older son, Ryan. We have three running Internationals, and one for parts (the white pickup you can see in some pictures).

December 30th, 2014, 2:03 pm
UC4x4 Member

Nice 800!

- Confucius

December 30th, 2014, 3:57 pm
Profile WWW

The previous owner had it 25 years, started life as a 61. He changed everything except the frame, 67 body with Scout 80 fold down windshield, 345 from a 75 Scout II, T19 from a 78, and D300 from a 1980. Front axle is a Chevy D44 with 4.10 Power Lok, rear is a D60 from a Ford, also 4.10 Power Lok. He hasn't had it on the trail yet, a few things need to be done first, and he doesn't have the ambition or money.

He did go on a snow run last February.

December 30th, 2014, 6:05 pm

A buddy welded it together for me, and I took it back apart to wire cup brush and paint.

December 30th, 2014, 6:21 pm

All done.

View from underneath.

The power take off is on the transfer case.

January 2nd, 2015, 6:27 pm
UC4x4 Member

Looks great, very clean, like it was meant to be there! I especially like the crossmember with the hole for the drive-shaft to run through. Guess its back to getting the pickup back together!

- Confucius

January 2nd, 2015, 11:24 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you, I don't like doing things half ass. I made the hole through the plate with a hole saw, it was close enough to the u joint that I was able to scribe the circle with a locking bolt sticking out of the coupler. It was a different diameter, but I just found center with my calipers. There is an oops where I started cutting across the top of the plate on the wrong line, it's visible in one of the pictures, will probably weld it later. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. I wanted to do winter trips while the truck was down, that's why I did this first.

Yeah, it's back to the truck now.

January 3rd, 2015, 10:32 am

Some pictures of the winch rebuild.

Last edited by Big Ed on January 19th, 2015, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 19th, 2015, 10:21 am

Three of the mounting holes were stripped, and none of them were perfect, so I drilled to .368" (letter U drill), and tapped 7/16"-14 (course thread). I turned the drill press on, then off, then pushed it into the hole.

Then I ran it in the rest of the way by hand.

Used an old bushing up side down to drive in the new bushing on this end.

Getting ready to drive in a bushing.

Used a dead blow hammer.

All the way in.

Broke the end off with a vise grip, then used a carbide deburring tool to cut the bushing out.

After removing the bushing.

Cleaned up the drum.

January 19th, 2015, 10:31 am

I got a new shaft from Ramsey, it's the current production and the key slot on this end is longer and further from the end of the shaft by .100". I reused the keys, so this meant they wouldn't go in. There is a spacer between the shaft and the keys, and the keys just fit in there. My solution was to grind .100" off of the length of the key.

here it is with the spacer in place.

Here it is with the original key next to it for comparison.

Clutch housing before the set screw went in to hold the fork on the shaft (used blue Loctite).

Jaw clutch in place.

Took a while to get this together, the bearings are a pretty tight fit on the shaft. I just took it slow so I didn't mess anything up.

Added another lube filler hole up higher, the one on my Braden winch is a little higher than this. There was a lot of rust on the gear hub that wouldn't have been there if it was in oil. I've seen pictures of Ramsey winches with the cover plate up side down, putting the filler higher. I did it this way so I can run the lower level if I want to, without breaking the seal, and turning the cover over.

I put it together without sealer the first time, in case it had to come back apart.

Detent ball and spring.

January 19th, 2015, 10:33 am

The detent ball and spring goes in this hole.

Had to make detents in the new shaft, just measured the old one, and marked it, then used the drill press.

After the keys were shortened and installed.

Another view.

Getting ready to put in the set screw to hold in the ball and spring (used blue Loctite).

Putting it back together with silicone.

Didn't tighten the big cover all the way yet, with the silicone it's spitting out the gasket(it didn't do that dry).

The action of the engage/disengage lever feels pretty good, couldn't move it before.

Last edited by Big Ed on January 21st, 2015, 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 19th, 2015, 10:34 am
UC4x4 Member

Nicely done, looks great in that last picture all painted up and pretty. Nothing like bringing something back to knew with a little hard work!

- Confucius

January 20th, 2015, 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next