View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2021, 2:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 1985 Gmc Jimmy----The redneck battle truck 
Friend of UC4x4

Post Re: 1985 Gmc Jimmy----The redneck battle truck
Whats going on with this one? At the rate you were going you should have wheeled it a few times by now.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

March 23rd, 2016, 12:35 pm

Hey dude! Hope all is well.

Haha I wish I could say im wheeling it. Im still smashing on it and ive made a few changes to what im doing.

Ive been doing a lot of research as well...most specifically on an efi system called FiTech out of Riverside ca. Im thinking ill pull the trigger on it as its 700 bucks and literally bolts on, its tunable but also self learning, the ecm is in the unit itself and it uses gm parts so if an injector went out you could go to any auto store and get one.

Beyond that I completely took the motor apart. Had my engine builder friend look at it and he was impressed how fresh it was. The bore came out to 4.002", which means radially thats only .001 of an inch wear in the cylinder walls. The bearings look ok but maybe have been starved at some point in its life.

Given that ive decided to go ahead and put some more steam in it and see where it takes me. I might be able to get the heads rebuilt for free and ill do bearings since that was the only part that seemed to have some wear. Im glad I opened up the motor. Going through every nut and bolt will ensure its reliable, plus it wont leak oil!

I also scored a free edelbrock performer intake and I plan on getting a extreme 4x4 comp cam, which will work great with stock heads but its a stretch for tbi without a chip, which I really dont want to mess with so ill likely flip the tbi setup and buy efi since its getting so cheap.

Other than that I have the whole front end boxed in as well as the rear section I was working on completed.

The other major change im making is ditching the flatbed idea. I looked and looked for a design that I like but none of them sit quite right with me. I also mocked up where the flatbed would sit and its way too high with the 31 gallon tank underneath it. So with that ive decided to just grab a regular short bed. Luckily I was smart enough to take enough out of the wheelbase so it would fit a shortbed at 120". So ill be able to put the fuel tank in the bed, which is cool because I really want 31 gallons of fuel and not having to drag it over rocks under the frame.

I bought a rollcage as well...thats on the way. Ive started prepping for paint and ive resealed/painted the drivetrain. All the drivetrain is essentially ready to go in, just waiting on the motor work to be finished.

Im hoping that the motor will be complete by next weekend, then ill install it and start welding the cage up. Its supposed to go behind the dash so that will be nice.

I plan on getting the short bed Saturday... $300.

March 23rd, 2016, 9:57 pm

:thumb:

March 24th, 2016, 9:00 am
UC4x4 Member

Nice update. Interior cages are rough to make unintrusive but take your time and you can massage it where it works best. I ended up being less than happy with my cage kit so I'm meeting with a cage builder next weekend. I should be able to sell my current kit cage and drop another 500 to have the one I want

March 24th, 2016, 9:40 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Nice, sounds like you've been busy. Is the aftermarket EFI system you're talking about a MAF system or what makes it better than stock TBI for the cam you're looking at?

California Monkey wrote:
Nice update. Interior cages are rough to make unintrusive but take your time and you can massage it where it works best. I ended up being less than happy with my cage kit so I'm meeting with a cage builder next weekend. I should be able to sell my current kit cage and drop another 500 to have the one I want

Totes agree. I really dislike my cage. Because I built it. And suck at t00b work lol. But I had way more time than money back then so it is what it is.

Sounds like yours will help conserve space by going through the dash though, that's def a good thing, especially in a single cab pick up!

- Confucius

March 24th, 2016, 6:42 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Good to see you are still plugging away at this. Looks like you're still making good progress. What cage did you order? Oh and we need pics!

Dan90FSB wrote:
Nice, sounds like you've been busy. Is the aftermarket EFI system you're talking about a MAF system or what makes it better than stock TBI for the cam you're looking at?

Its a speed/density system I believe. The advantage is Airflow and tuneability. Stock tbi can only flow like 475cfm and the system is not very tunable (ie: if you do anything but stock cam/heads it doesn't run too great. The bassic FiTech system is supposed to support up to 400hp and be self tuning, meaning the longer you drive it the better it gets. Also since its an aftermarket "kit" it is probably alot easier to install/use than cutting into a stock harness. MSD also has a similar system that I keep seeing the "roadkill" use with good results.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

March 24th, 2016, 8:16 pm

I would love the opportunity to build all my own stuff but sometimes it just doesnt make sense. The cage I bough from diy4x is meant to be put together in a single cab, which is a tricky thing without sacrificing head room or knee room. Being that I dont have access to a bender and I want to wheel this thing like crazy while being safe made spending $450 easy. I probably would have spent 200 bucks on material alone if I did it anyway, not to mention the time.

What didnt you like about yours cm?

So the biggest drawback to tbi is the narrow band of the computer. It can be chipped but one look at the reviews on chipping is enough to turn you away. Tbi is really good at one thing and that is reliability. Youll never see it in a serious drag car or anything because of its lack of acceptance towards bigger cam/ more air or fuel.

The beauty of FiTech is that its based off of gm parts. You can walk into autozone and by the bosch o2 sensor or the gm injectors. It uses wideband, iac, map and coolant temp to self tune but it also comes with an in cab unit to dial in settings and get feedback from the sensors. It bolts right on any 4bbl manifold. Stillmdoing a lot of research on it.

Time for some pictures!

Lol this might happen

March 24th, 2016, 8:44 pm

LuckyLindy wrote:
Good to see you are still plugging away at this. Looks like you're still making good progress. What cage did you order? Oh and we need pics!

Dan90FSB wrote:

Its a speed/density system I believe. The advantage is Airflow and tuneability. Stock tbi can only flow like 475cfm and the system is not very tunable (ie: if you do anything but stock cam/heads it doesn't run too great. The bassic FiTech system is supposed to support up to 400hp and be self tuning, meaning the longer you drive it the better it gets. Also since its an aftermarket "kit" it is probably alot easier to install/use than cutting into a stock harness. MSD also has a similar system that I keep seeing the "roadkill" use with good results.

Posted just after you!

Yeah theres several different levels of FiTech but ill probably never need more than 400 hp.

The cam I hear everyone eith stock motors raving about would be comp cams extreme 4x4 cam. Work from idle to 5000. From what I hear itll really wake it up, even with stock heads since im not screaming it. It should complement the edelbrock performer and long tubes. I found these headman 69230 headers which actually stay about the shackles. Cheap too.

March 24th, 2016, 8:48 pm
UC4x4 Member

Great progress. That EFI system sounds like a good solution, and gotta love the use of stock parts for reliability and parts-find-ability!

- Confucius

March 24th, 2016, 10:17 pm
Profile WWW

Dan90FSB wrote:
Great progress. That EFI system sounds like a good solution, and gotta love the use of stock parts for reliability and parts-find-ability!

Thanks!

Yeah im just waiting until the motors in the truck. Holley is coming out with their rebuttal called sniper. I think ill be ready and waiting on it before that but I dont see it offering any special benefits. Theres nothing worse then paying outrageous prices for proprietary parts.

March 25th, 2016, 5:14 pm

Picked up the bed today. 300 and I got to pick out my own tailgate. Good thing inhave a gmc grille to go with this hahaha.

Got some more parts in too. Clutch fork, bronze pilot bushing, throw out bearing and clutch fork boot. Thats pretty much the last of the clutch parts except the hydraulic stuff.

March 26th, 2016, 10:03 pm
UC4x4 Member

Couldn't help but notice the Orlandi trailer stickers and the fact that your trailer looks identical to mine. Is it RJM?

- Confucius

March 26th, 2016, 10:44 pm
Profile WWW

Dan90FSB wrote:
Couldn't help but notice the Orlandi trailer stickers and the fact that your trailer looks identical to mine. Is it RJM?

Yeah that's it! It's been great. I'd like to build it up some one day. I have a spare tire and a mount I need to put on it.

March 27th, 2016, 11:54 am

Here's where I'm at with the motor.

Life would be so lame without breaking a head bolt off in the block. Got it out with the trusty mig.

Attachments:
20160325_193150.jpg
20160325_193150.jpg [ 1.79 MiB | Viewed 7411 times ]
20160325_193145.jpg
20160325_193145.jpg [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 7411 times ]
March 27th, 2016, 12:13 pm

Free head work!

It pays to know an og engine builder. I think he ported them too lol! He also machined them for positive stop valve seals.

Attachments:
22368.jpeg
22368.jpeg [ 110.2 KiB | Viewed 7397 times ]
22367.jpeg
22367.jpeg [ 161.57 KiB | Viewed 7397 times ]
April 4th, 2016, 4:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next