View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 17th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 1985 Gmc Jimmy----The redneck battle truck 

Post Re: 1985 Gmc Jimmy----The redneck battle truck
Well my luck ran out. One of the heads was cracked apparently. Probably going to have to cough up the money for new heads.

Oh well. Shooting for reliability here so I'm not looking to by someone else's junk. We'll see!

April 15th, 2016, 11:50 am
Friend of UC4x4

oatmeal wrote:
Well my luck ran out. One of the heads was cracked apparently. Probably going to have to cough up the money for new heads.

Oh well. Shooting for reliability here so I'm not looking to by someone else's junk. We'll see!

Honestly probably not too bad of a deal as those casting number heads are about the worst GM made. If you are buying heads anyway look into swapping to a Vortec head or some good aftermarket aluminum ones. The vortec's would require a new intake, but are really good as an iron head. Better heads will really wake up a motor especially if a cam swap is done at the same time. I have had very good luck with Edlebrock heads or the GM performance parts aluminum 2.02 heads.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

April 15th, 2016, 12:12 pm

Yeah there are fairly weak.

I'm looking at torquer heads from world products. I'll pick up 30hp and torque, I can still use my performer intake and there $600 for a pair. I have everything but the valves, just need to send my smaller valves back and get 2.02 and 1.6.

Aluminum heads are cool but I'm afraid of issues due to the expansion rate and the fact that this truck will go through a lot of heat cycles. I just don't want any problems.

April 15th, 2016, 12:50 pm
Friend of UC4x4

oatmeal wrote:

I'm looking at torquer heads from world products. I'll pick up 30hp and torque, I can still use my performer intake and there $600 for a pair. I have everything but the valves, just need to send my smaller valves back and get 2.02 and 1.6.

Aluminum heads are cool but I'm afraid of issues due to the expansion rate and the fact that this truck will go through a lot of heat cycles. I just don't want any problems.

we have aluminum heads on the race cars, and we have never had an issue with the head due to heat cycling them, on the track for 5-6 laps between WOT and idle, off the track, on the track for 8 laps between WOT and idle, off the track, on the track for 25-30 laps between WOT and idle, off the track put it in the trailer, and thats if there isnt qualifying or a B main

i would be very surprised if you saw as much heat as these motors, and im like a million % sure you arnt turning the RPM that we are

Wolfpack member #1

April 15th, 2016, 12:57 pm

That's a good point. I could definitely be wrong...I always thought people run cast for reliability?

April 15th, 2016, 1:04 pm
Friend of UC4x4

Garlic Bronco wrote:
oatmeal wrote:

we have aluminum heads on the race cars, and we have never had an issue with the head due to heat cycling them, on the track for 5-6 laps between WOT and idle, off the track, on the track for 8 laps between WOT and idle, off the track, on the track for 25-30 laps between WOT and idle, off the track put it in the trailer, and thats if there isnt qualifying or a B main

i would be very surprised if you saw as much heat as these motors, and im like a million % sure you arnt turning the RPM that we are

I would tend to agree here. As far as reliability i think it's probably a toss up. Considering all new motors are alloy heads and they are striving for longevity it would seem the aluminum is just fine. Cast heads are cheaper and since you're not looking for a hp monster i would think you would be totally fine. Either way a new set of heads will be better than those crappy smogger head you have now.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

April 15th, 2016, 1:06 pm
Friend of UC4x4

Another thought, considering the cost of heads and the cost of the EFI system and all the other things needed to make this 350 work to your liking, How much more would it be to go to a ls 5.3(I really don't know here but i read about $1500 5.3s on pirate all the time)? really not trying to snowball your project, but may be something to consider? figure $1000 for efi after buying the pumps and other misc stuff and figure $1000 by the time you buy new heads/valves/gaskets/misc to freshen your 350 and you're not too far from a good/used LS. I haven't looked to far into what additional costs are involved in the swap, but you had mentioned going to ls power before and money wise it might not be a terrible idea to do it now?

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

April 15th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Hmm. The price is roughly the same. The down side is Id have to buy 185cc intake as opposed to 170cc...

April 15th, 2016, 1:18 pm

I did pull the trigger on efi.

I know I could probably buy an ls at this point. It's a painful thought to some extent but as intriguing as ls sounds theres a lot more going on there then just buying a newer engine.

After seeing several people smoke ls motors from reputable sellers it's going to mean I'd have to disassemble and inspect the innards of the new motor...which puts you into might as well territory, as in a might as well do bearing, might as well cam it and so on. I think it would be a real can of worms. We all know buying the engine is just the upfront cost...the nickel and dime starts next.

At this point I'm sort of commited. It's not what I dreamed of but I know every detail of the motor now, which isn't something I could say about buying another or just leaving it as it was. There's peace of mind in that.

The other down side to ls is the pure lack of bottom end torque. They don't come on until 3500rpm or more, which is no fun. I'd have to think long and hard about ls and probably at the very least it would be a 6.0l

I'd also have to source or at the least figure out all the wiring, plus buying the pump, new flywheel and all that. I think this motor will pull the ball off a billy goat once it's together, which will make me happy.

April 15th, 2016, 1:30 pm
Friend of UC4x4

Sounds like a good and well thought out plan. I only mentioned LS as you'd shown interest before. I actually like a mild 350 for Off-Road use. They are good on power when built properly and are pretty damn reliable. Plus they are in everything so if you ever have an issue there is a pretty good chance of someone being able to help with parts/knowledge. I'm excited to see this thing come together.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

April 15th, 2016, 7:48 pm

LuckyLindy wrote:
Sounds like a good and well thought out plan. I only mentioned LS as you'd shown interest before. I actually like a mild 350 for Off-Road use. They are good on power when built properly and are pretty damn reliable. Plus they are in everything so if you ever have an issue there is a pretty good chance of someone being able to help with parts/knowledge. I'm excited to see this thing come together.

You're definitely right about that. I would like an ls but I would go insane if it blew up. Two other guys I know bought ls motors from reputable people and one spun a cam bearing and the other dropped a valve. It might have been a freak thing but im sketchy on the pull out motors. I get the vision of guys doing insane burnouts with them before they peel them out of their former homes.

I guess I would always have to wonder if it was in good shape or not without going through it. The other thing about ls motors is that theyre making 1st gen stuff crazy cheap. Youre right on finding other 350 help. When I broke down on fordyce almost everyone who passed me by new something or had parts for a 350.

Its a bit of a sting but as I mentioned ill know every nut and bolt of the motor and she'll be strong for however long I use it. Im excited as well. Im ready for the endeavor to be over haha.

I need this thing assembled!! It sounds like I shouldnt have any trouble making over 300hp compared to the anemic 160 it made before!

April 15th, 2016, 8:12 pm

Looks a bit different then the last post! I finished the valvetrain last night. Ready to bolt the intake on today and its ready to get mated to the trans.

May 22nd, 2016, 10:46 am
UC4x4 Member

That's pretty sweet looking

May 22nd, 2016, 12:39 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

That is good looking. I'm looking forward to building the 2a's motor, but it's a little smaller.

May 22nd, 2016, 4:46 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks guys!

It was an awesome experience rebuilding the engine. I really look forward to the next engine build!

Updates!

May 28th, 2016, 9:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 815 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55  Next