View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 17th, 2021, 7:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Boom Boom (aka Business Class) 

Post Re: Boom Boom (aka Business Class)
Made some good progress on the brakes the last week or so. It's been a little stop/go as I've found unexpected issues. Biggest problem so far was the hydro booster unit I pulled wasn't as direct a fit as I thought it would be on the firewall mount. So I had to make some new mounting holes and cut a bit of firewall out to make it sit right. :banghead:

I was expecting to need a new pedal, but the new one I had ordered and waited a week for turned out to be the wrong one. :mad:

But today I hopped down to Moss Landing Pick-n-Pull because they had a diesel 'burb that I knew would have right pedal. Going down I was tempted to try and pull the hydro booster too just to have everything right but that notion went out the window when I saw how fucking rotted the thing was. It must have just been sitting right next to the ocean for the last 10-20 years because the whole thing was basically about to fall in on itself.

But, I got the pedal I needed, and spent the rest of the afternoon putting things together. Right now I've got everything connected, mounted, I just need to bleed the hydro and brakes. Should be done tomorrow. Can't wait to feel the extra strength in the brakes.

August 26th, 2015, 10:19 pm
UC4x4 Member

Love the AN lines should make repairs super easy.

- Confucius

August 27th, 2015, 7:20 am
Profile WWW

Dan90FSB wrote:
Love the AN lines should make repairs super easy.

that and they seem to be cheaper than going with custom made lines at Royal Brass, or even buying new correct lines. I can always carry spare line and a just replace whatever gets damaged. These, I don't expect to have much happen to, but I'm going to redo my brake lines in AN as well, since those seem more likely to get snagged on something.

My biggest concern is just that I'm making them right... if I make them slightly wrong (not having the line in all the way or just the way I turn things to tighten them down) I can easily pull the line out of the fitting. It seems like when I do it right I can't pull the line out, but I'll be finding out today if they actually hold pressure. Hopefully I won't blow one out and have power steering fluid blow all over my engine. :shock:

August 27th, 2015, 11:43 am
UC4x4 Member

I went through the same thing building the AN lines for my ram assist, I kept doubting if they were tight enough. They've held up fine though.

- Confucius

August 27th, 2015, 11:51 am
Profile WWW

Dan90FSB wrote:
I went through the same thing building the AN lines for my ram assist, I kept doubting if they were tight enough. They've held up fine though.

That's very reassuring to hear, thanks!

August 27th, 2015, 11:56 am

Well it's been a long few days getting this thing going, but I've learned a lot along the way.

The hydroboost is in, working and I love it! It's very powerful. I'm able to lock 'em up and skid to a stop; though I don't want to do that, it's something I certainly could not do before.

How I did this has changed a lot. Here's the short version:

1. Used reman'd hydroboost unit from a 1987 V20 Diesel Suburban bought from O'Reilly's.
  2. Used a new master cylinder from the same truck bought from O'Reilly's.
  3. Used new high pressure lines from the same truck bought from Amazon.
  4. Used a reman'd pump from the same truck bought from Rock Auto.
  5. Used new low-pressure line bought from O'Reilly's.
  6. Used a brake pedal pulled from an '88 V20 Diesel Suburban at PnP Moss Landing.

Now, as you've probably seen from above posts, this is not at all how I'd started out. But, along the way I found a number of problems with the original parts I'd bought to make the switch:

The G30 hydroboost unit
  1. The connecting rod to the brake pedal was too short.
  2. The hole at the end of the rod was too big for the brake pedal pin so there would have been slop.

The G30 master cylinder
  1. Too tall to fit under the hood, even with the hydroboost unit pointing slightly downward.

The AN hose and fittings
  1. This was the biggest problem. I'd mixed manufacturers between hose and fittings. Silly me for thinking that an AN hose was an AN hose was an AN hose... :goodfinger: Seems Fragola likes to make proprietary series of hoses and fittings. I'd bought their 2000 series hose and 1 of their 2000 series fittings, but the rest were some other brand. End result: at least 1 of the non-Fragola fittings wouldn't hold pressure and spewed power steering fluid all over the engine twice. I just couldn't get it to hold tight.

So, all those issues together made me give up on the cobbled together approach and just buy the whole system from the diesel version of my truck. Unfortunately those things are as rare as hens teeth so I couldn't pick-n-pull it all (the one at Moss Landing was roached, so I was lucky to get the brake pedal. The booster and MC were toast). Still, I was able to use the $20 booster from PnP to get my $50 core fee back rather than have to eat that cost. So that's a win.

And now I've got a pretty stock looking engine bay, which I guess is nice if I ever want someone else to work on the thing.

Ultimately, like I said, the brakes feel awesome, so I'm happy. I do still have a little pulsing in the steering box when turning. Not major, but I can't tell if it needs a bleed or if the pump just isn't up to the task or what...

TL;DR - My brakes rock. If you want to do a swap just buy all the parts off the diesel version of your truck instead of cobbling together lots of parts from different places. Also, AN hose is not all the same.

September 3rd, 2015, 12:09 pm
UC4x4 Member

Good post and lots of good info. Glad to hear you're happy with the stopping power. Nothing worse than grabbing a foot full of brake and having it feel inadequate. Also good to know om the AN lines, I would've assumed the same thing!

- Confucius

September 3rd, 2015, 5:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5