View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 12th, 2021, 1:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 99 2fiddy 
UC4x4 Member

Post 99 2fiddy
Might as well have a little build thread going for the tow rig right?

Basic deets:

99 (early) F250, 7.3 PSD, ZF6, 4x4, 4 door, short bed. 236K miles when purchased.

Best shot I have, sorry it’s the best I could do in my driveway

Piecing the details together as best I can… the original owner was in the military at 29 palms and had a gooseneck hitch in it so maybe horses? I think it was basically stock with him, he owned it until 2011 or 2012. Then someone outside of Sac bought it, I’m guessing fairly young because they went on a mission to blow black smoke… 100% over stock injectors from Rosewood diesel went in, along with a TS / Power Hungry Performance 6 pos chip. He seemed to have it about 2 years, then the third owner in Manteca had it about 9 months and sold to me.

When I bought it idled rough, didn’t run great and was clearly very over-fueled. Funny what happens with huge injectors and a hot tune with a stock turbo huh? More fuel + stock air does not = more power! The interior is pretty rough, power door locks don’t work and the HVAC is stuck on defrost. SES (CEL) was on too… Anyway, the clutch was solid, it shifted great and generally drove well. It had new tires and a bunch of new front end components. The exterior was surprisingly clean with a 05 front clip swap. All in all not my ideal truck, but I had been looking for months and everything I liked was WAY too expensive. The price was RIGHT so I pulled the trigger.

Right off the bat I knew I needed to address the injectors and SES light. I decided to take it to left coast diesel in Livermore, who I’ve been quite pleased with so far. I ordered stock injectors for it, which they installed. As they were digging through it, they discovered the source of the SES light was a turbo that was literally coming apart, leaking up-pipes and leaking intake manifold. Sooooooooo all that got fixed and a new Garret 38R went in.

They also installed an Edge digital gauge pod and did a few other odds and ends like oil change.

So the good news right is it’s driving great, SES light is gone and all seems basically right.

The old, ghetto gauges, only 2 of which worked

New Edge digital gauge pod. Gives me EGT, fuel pressure (at the rails), boost, oil temp and speedo. It pulls a lot of that from the OBD2 port so its also a scanner / diagnostic and can reset codes. Pretty cool piece for $400. Cheaper than buying all the gauges!

Removed some of the old stickers…

And got down to business

And most importantly

Last night Kristen helped me do some major clean up on the seats. The truck is (was?) a Lariat but the interior looks as though its never been cleaned and the leather was never conditioned so its cracked. The rear bench and center jump seat are probably salvageable but the passenger and driver have some big tears so I’ll be looking for replacement covers / seats.

The short term plan, in this order… SMOG it… I think it will pass as is. Then I’ll get a proper tune for it to make use of the new turbo, looking into DP tuner. At the same time will do intake and full 4” exhaust, looking at AFE and MBRP, respectively. Motor will be done at that point. Then address some odds and ends like interior cleanliness, some seat covers, fixing door locks, stereo upgrades and HVAC controls (whatever happened to good old fashioned mechanical ducts!?) Then I want to put some rims on it. The rims that are on it are painfully ugly. I’m actually slightly embarrassed to be seen in the truck, that’s how ugly they are.

Then I guess I need to figure out a trailer and fulfill the dream of driving down Ice House, up 101 and down from Shaver in air conditioned comfort :mrgreen:

- Confucius

June 24th, 2015, 2:41 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: 99 2fiddy
Finally getting a pic of the front end, that's aftermarket headlights, not the front clip off an '05. Otherwise great find / progress

June 24th, 2015, 4:22 pm
Profile WWW

California Monkey wrote:
Finally getting a pic of the front end, that's aftermarket headlights, not the front clip off an '05. Otherwise great find / progress

There painted stock headlights. Its the newest rage instead of buying chinese headlights. Just pop em in the over for a minute to loosen the glue, paint, re glue and your ready!

June 24th, 2015, 5:48 pm
UC4x4 Member

I like the front end. Sounds like all the right work is getting done.

Did you get your monster sticker/ flat bill hat in the mail yet. It should come with you "Rolling coal 101" handbook

June 24th, 2015, 6:34 pm
UC4x4 Member

California Monkey wrote:

oatmeal wrote:
California Monkey wrote:

There painted stock headlights. Its the newest rage instead of buying chinese headlights. Just pop em in the over for a minute to loosen the glue, paint, re glue and your ready!

Whatever you guys say :) As long as I can figure out parts for it if need be.

Ptack1 wrote:
I like the front end. Sounds like all the right work is getting done.

Did you get your monster sticker/ flat bill hat in the mail yet. It should come with you "Rolling coal 101" handbook

I haven't gotten my intro package yet. I might get kicked out of the club though because it was rolling major coal and I've basically eliminated that

- Confucius

June 24th, 2015, 7:19 pm
Profile WWW

I thought they were stock so I googled painted stock f250 headlights and it was right on the money. Great looking truck. I need me a diesel so I can tow the blazer instead of it towing me.

June 24th, 2015, 8:47 pm
UC4x4 Member

Though as I look at it again, I think the grill might be different too, I the Ford logo in the center is bigger than the 99's. Whatever, it looks way the hell better than this...

- Confucius

June 25th, 2015, 8:12 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

You can mount the 05 grill if you cut the bottom off and zip tie it on. You are right though, it does look a lot better.

June 25th, 2015, 9:36 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I recently started my stereo upgrade. New kenwood double din deck with blue tooth and back up camera. The camera will pay for itself the first time you hitch up a trailer. I got an old amp and some subs that I'm installing into my rear double doors.

It's more work than I thought it would be but the deck is lacking to say the least

June 26th, 2015, 8:27 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Yeah I'm eyeing upgrades. What unit did you use? I actually hadn't thought of the camera but that makes a lot of sense for hooking up a trailer.

- Confucius

June 26th, 2015, 9:04 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Kenwood ddx372bt. Since I don't have steering wheel controls, I wanted the volume knob. If I had to find a volume adjustment quickly on a touch screen I'd probably be screwed. I wanted to be able to turn up or down the stereo without looking

June 26th, 2015, 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

California Monkey wrote:
Kenwood ddx372bt. Since I don't have steering wheel controls, I wanted the volume knob. If I had to find a volume adjustment quickly on a touch screen I'd probably be screwed. I wanted to be able to turn up or down the stereo without looking

remote?

after having a truck with wheel controls, if i didnt at least have a remote (like i had in the tan bronco) id be bummed lol

Wolfpack member #1

June 26th, 2015, 10:42 am
UC4x4 Member

Yes remote. Also dvd, usb, sd.........

Way better than the cd / tape deck combo that is in the now

June 26th, 2015, 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

California Monkey wrote:
Yes remote. Also dvd, usb, sd.........

Way better than the cd / tape deck combo that is in the now

sounds good to me!

Wolfpack member #1

June 26th, 2015, 1:05 pm
UC4x4 Member

I'll have to look at that set up when you're done rich. I want to do something similar in my truck

June 26th, 2015, 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next