View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 12th, 2021, 1:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stan's AEV Bronco – Old Man Edition 
Friend of UC4x4

Post Stan's AEV Bronco – Old Man Edition
It's been 5 or so years since I was active on UC (my bad!) but I'm back in action. I finally have the work-life balance I want.

If you don't remember my project, you can scan back to 2008 and read some updates on FSB – http://bit.ly/2g1ubWa. Keep in mind, I was building an Overland rig before Overland was popular by the Toyota and Jeep clubs.

Main specs:
1996 Ford Bronco 351W
4" Rancho lift with extended arms
AAL in the rear
Bilstein Shocks
35x12.5R15 BFG All Terrains
Front and Rear E-Lockers
Yukon 4.56 gears
207K well loved miles.

That all has served me well for the wheeling that we used to do, but I've heard that everyone is on 40's and I'm slackin' by letting my truck sit for 2 years as I grow my personal business. It's time to change that!

Updated goals of my AEV Build:
- Be reliable, capable, and comfortable (hopefully in that order).
- I want to tackle the trails and rocks that you all have grown to love, but more importantly I want to travel Northern America taking the slower dirt road more often than not. A month at a time sounds great (#vanlife).

October 10th, 2017, 12:45 pm
Friend of UC4x4

Post Re: Stan's AEV Bronco – Old Man Edition
In the past few weeks (months really), I've been working on the reliability aspect of the truck. My last tune up was back in 2007 before that VTA fiasco, so my truck was well past due for new fluids, pulleys, seals – the works really.

Things I've completed since getting the truck back to road legal status:
- Full tune-up with plugs, wires, cap & rotor, coil, etc.
- Radiator flush (my fluid was murky brown) with new hoses.
- Oil change, t-case flush, differential flushes, new brake fluid, and power steering fluid.
- New idler pulleys and serpentine belt.
- New rear drums to replace a leaking wheel cylinder. This included installing F-350 dually real wheel cylinders, F-350 booster, and an Ambulance E-350 Master Cylinder (1/8" bore vs 1/16"). Lots of great stopping power now.
- The stock Intermediate Steering Shaft which had lots of slop (about 1/4 turn each direction before the box/pump would engage). I installed a Borgeson #000981 Intermediate Shaft, which needed to be trimmed about 3 inches to keep the collapsing safety feature. Adios slop! Is this what 2019 feels like?!
- I checked all the other joints and gave them a good lube. :thumb:

Things I still need to complete for basic tune up:
- Replace my 10 year old fuel filter and jerry-rigged fuels lines with some nice ones from JBG. I had some issues getting the lines off but I'll keep trying new techniques, tools, and swear words.
- I should probably repack my front wheel bearings and top off my blinker fluid with new synthetic LED fluid.
- I'll drain my transmission (stock with 207k miles), install a new filter, and finally install a temperature gauge and bigger external filter with e-fan for manual control. Any suggestions on the best way to set this up?
- I'd also like to make the switch from clutch fan to e-fan for manual control. But that can be tackled at a later date.

A video of my sloppy rag joint:
https://youtu.be/OGjna8AWvcY

October 10th, 2017, 1:03 pm
Friend of UC4x4

Other tidbits I'm working on right now:
- New seats. My factory seats are toast with the cushions and leather. Time to get something more comfy and supportive.
- New Tuff Center console with a custom switch panel for lockers, lights, and fans.
- Pull out all of my accessory wiring and make it proper and tidy. I've learned a lot since things were originally installed (thanks for your help 2007 Peter and Dan!). I'm building a custom fuse/relay panel that will allow for expandability. I want plug & play to make future add-ons easy.
- New wheels and tires. Stepping up to the 17" game to future proof my options for axles, brakes, and tire options.
- I still need to figure out what route I'm going long-term for axles. Custom 609 axles? Dana 60 front SAS and 14 Bolt rear?! Who the hell knows at this point.

October 10th, 2017, 1:11 pm

Is that poison oak either side of the trail in the first pic?

October 11th, 2017, 7:25 am
Friend of UC4x4

Big Ed wrote:
Is that poison oak either side of the trail in the first pic?

hollister hills, so yeah probably

Wolfpack member #1

October 11th, 2017, 8:40 am
Friend of UC4x4

Curious about the feasibility of keeping the ttb front, it doesn't sound like your end goal is hardcore crawler and the ttb is pretty dang reliable/strong. The go fast guys seem to prefer the ttb over a solid axle and I would think that bombing fire roads and more overlanding type wheeling wold be more go fast style than hardcore crawler style. Also if your in the middle of nowhere it'd probably be easier to aquire parts for a stock style front than a SFA swap.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

October 11th, 2017, 9:13 pm
Friend of UC4x4

LuckyLindy wrote:
Curious about the feasibility of keeping the ttb front, it doesn't sound like your end goal is hardcore crawler and the ttb is pretty dang reliable/strong. The go fast guys seem to prefer the ttb over a solid axle and I would think that bombing fire roads and more overlanding type wheeling wold be more go fast style than hardcore crawler style. Also if your in the middle of nowhere it'd probably be easier to aquire parts for a stock style front than a SFA swap.

You're right, the desert guys love the TTB and if done right, it can produce some good travel results in stock width (no fiberglass here). Once you tame the wonky steering, suspension travel, and bump steer, the biggest issue with TTB is shaft breakage. Not too many of the desert runners find themselves with lots of gear loaded in the back, wedged on an off camber incline and locked front and rear. I have a D50 inner stub shaft installed which runs a larger u-joint over stock, so theoretically, my weakest links are the outer shafts and hubs.

I think my end goal is probably some sort of D60 or a custom 9" center with D60 outers (609) SAS. Overbuilt and carrying spares would be most ideal but also most expensive. The other concern with this route is tire size to clear the heftier pumpkins. It really is a snowball decision.

October 12th, 2017, 12:52 am
UC4x4 Member

I ran 37's on steel DIY beadlocks and never had a problem with the TTB. Dan and Peter run 38"s and I don't see putting in that much time and money for 1" in tire size. Then you get into the "sketch" of driving a lot with big off road tires which as you get older and have loved ones, will become an issue.

Honestly, I'd sell the bronco and take the time and money and put it into 2 weeks of tropical resort vacations each year. You can hike the Rubicon faster than you can drive it.

October 12th, 2017, 10:13 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

California Monkey wrote:
I ran 37's on steel DIY beadlocks and never had a problem with the TTB.

You didn't wheel it hard either. Not trying to be a dick or pick a fight here just being honest. Think about the Rubicon trip we just did and how well it would survive repeated trips like that.

I ran my solid 44 on the con multiple times with 37s and broke 2 hubs and a stub shaft and I babied it.

For me its really simple. If you want to do something like the con reliably and repeatedly in a full size you need 38-40" tires and tons. If you wanna bomb forest service roads, and do some light "hard" wheeling keep the TTB and 35s.

- Confucius

October 12th, 2017, 4:37 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

i don't know what the direction is but if you are going to do rubicon trip maybe once a year the TTB should be fine. Also, I don't see the mention of a tow rig and trailer... custom suspension and giant tires in a full size don't work "great" normally and any sane person would want a tow rig for taking a pig to the mountains... especially one with an E4OD!!!!! lol

if I had to buy axles now a days Id be looking at the 2000's super duty axles as they are the new cheap, strong buildable ones with aftermarket support. finding an old dana 60 isn't easy and 609's aren't cheap.

have you thought about buying a "done" trail rig and keeping the bronco clean or even just selling it? There's plenty of rigs out there that are "ready to wheel" which are better choices for the trail and will save you money

October 12th, 2017, 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

What about some sort of radius arm set up with a 60 or 609? Might keep the driveability better then a full on 3 link. I think you can make a nice driving rig on 38 to 40s and tons and still run Rubicon. Would it be the best flexing beat like a 3 link would maybe not. But it might be the right blend.
Petersons had an article about a yukon that was sas'd and made for driveability with a d60. Hell people run 38 to 40s on tow rigs.

October 13th, 2017, 8:12 pm
UC4x4 Member

Ptack1 wrote:
What about some sort of radius arm set up with a 60 or 609? Might keep the driveability better then a full on 3 link. I think you can make a nice driving rig on 38 to 40s and tons and still run Rubicon. Would it be the best flexing beat like a 3 link would maybe not. But it might be the right blend.
Petersons had an article about a yukon that was sas'd and made for driveability with a d60. Hell people run 38 to 40s on tow rigs.

A good thought process. I had this convo with Stephen Watson of ORD. They make a parallel 4 link kit (with a track bar) for IFS Chevy's just for that reason. 3 links are easier to package and less stuff to build but they can be a little weird they way they "roll" over the axis of the 3rd links since the 3rd link is generally off center. Anyway, the Watsons do a ton of street driving on 40's. But... they also have a lot of time and expertise (and probably money) in coilover spring and shock tuning. And they run long travel sway bars in the rear, maybe front too can't remember. Point is you can make a decently streetable rig on 40's, but it certainly takes more effort and money.

But Rich is right, most of our rigs are a little sketchy in one way or another for lots of street driving.

You could talk in circles forever on this though. I just drove mine 1,300 miles on UA. No issues. So you could say its a street machine! But yeah the suspension is a little soft for that. The steering wanders a hair, and it'd really do better with sway bars. So maybe if I was planning to do that kind of thing often I'd put some money in that stuff? IDK.

To Rich's last point, its clear building a rig from scratch isn't something you do for economic practicality. There's good deals on well built rigs on CL all the time.

- Confucius

October 13th, 2017, 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Why didn't you guys warn me?! Ive been wheeling my rig on 35s and not trailering for years! Almost 4000 miles to Colorado, wheel Moab and drove home! Someone should have warned me that I'm doing it wrong! LOL

As I tell everyone else, do whatever gets you wrenching less and wheeling more. If that means buying a JK, more power to you! :D

October 16th, 2017, 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Thanks for all of the input, guys! Lots to think about down the road.

I'm going to work on getting the truck reliable and keep it as is for now. I want to get out on the trail, put aside more money, and really figure out which route will be best for me down the line.

November 9th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Nice setup!

February 5th, 2018, 4:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next