View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2021, 2:08 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Should i build a beater willys/k5? 
Friend of UC4x4

Post Should i build a beater willys/k5?
Just curious what you all think. I have had a '49 Willys wagon for a LONG time. This one... https://uc4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3312. It's always been a back burner project that will someday get done but not enough time/cash to make it what i really want. I also bought that k5 from Jackson but have yet to receive paperwork and can't get a hold of him for the past 3 months+. tell me if i'm wrong but if I have a mostly complete chassie under the k5 and a complete body(with papers/non smogger) does it make sense to just stick them together and actually have something fun to beat around in? Any of you law enforcement people know if i will have issue with a willys body on blazer chassie reg as the willys? Should be legal right? also if i go this rout, any of you chevy guys need body/interior parts?

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

August 10th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Post Re: Should i build a beater willys/k5?
Hmm. I might need something you have.

I say go for it! It would be a sweet project but a lot of friggin work to mix match both. Id say build the k5 and get out on the trail!

In regards to the law, it always goes by the frame if numbers arent matching. As long as its non smog youll never have any trouble because you cant get flagged for an inspection. Most people probably wouldn't be able to tell the willys is on a different frame anyway.

If it was going to be a perfectly legal build the number matching motor would have to be attached to the number matching frame. The body can be anything as long as the vin plates are all there.

August 10th, 2015, 1:03 pm
UC4x4 Member

LuckyLindy wrote:
Just curious what you all think. I have had a '49 Willys wagon for a LONG time. This one... https://uc4x4.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3312. It's always been a back burner project that will someday get done but not enough time/cash to make it what i really want. I also bought that k5 from Jackson but have yet to receive paperwork and can't get a hold of him for the past 3 months+. tell me if i'm wrong but if I have a mostly complete chassie under the k5 and a complete body(with papers/non smogger) does it make sense to just stick them together and actually have something fun to beat around in? Any of you law enforcement people know if i will have issue with a willys body on blazer chassie reg as the willys? Should be legal right? also if i go this rout, any of you chevy guys need body/interior parts?

Sounds like a great project and would be neat when put together. Ask Dave about vin stuff since he swapped a cab with one vin onto his original frame. I think you need the paperwork for both though.

August 10th, 2015, 1:24 pm
UC4x4 Member

You have lots of options, and I've learned these the hard way. First, if you want to legit the blazer. Just go to the dmv and fill out a paperless title. Then fill out a statement of facts that you've tried multiple attempts but are unable to reach the seller. Saying you sent a certified letter helps. After that, you pay the reg, smog it and it's yours! :-D

For the willys, since you don't smog it, and basically nobody checks, you can do what ever you want to it. I so of get a scrap title for the blazer then if your bolting them together (dmv won't ask questions or even for your ID if the rev is current, or non-op'ed). It's a super pain in the ass, and remember that the employees there can literally do what ever they want since no one reads the paper copy after the trancsribe it into the computer, so just be super nice. :-)

Edit: one more option that I think would take more work since you need to go to a ref is to drop the willys body on the blazer and then have them issue a new vin based on a custom car since you've modified it beyond recognition of a blazer. Just another option, but seems like more work.

August 10th, 2015, 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

just talked to a sheriff buddy. Willys has a vin and it will look like a willys when done so it is the willys registration.The frame doesn't matter because it would be ID'd as the willys, but he recomended having some sort of proof of the frames whereabouts in case it came up as stolen and i happend to get stopped/check(which he said is very unlikely). I did some looking around and it actually seems like it could be a pretty easy swap. will talk to my wife and see if I have a go ahead. I am really considering doing this as it will be easier than trying to smog an 86 carbed/missing a bunch of stuff blazer or getting my efi on it and having a ref pass it through.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

August 10th, 2015, 2:53 pm
UC4x4 Member

chexmix wrote:
Edit: one more option that I think would take more work since you need to go to a ref is to drop the willys body on the blazer and then have them issue a new vin based on a custom car since you've modified it beyond recognition of a blazer. Just another option, but seems like more work.

not a good option since it would be required to pass smog standards for the body vehicle or possibly the newest if the DMV gets their panties in a twist. there are also only 500 vins available in CA for constructed vehicles.

make sure the Blazer VIN does not come up as stolen or back registration. File for a transfere like they said so you own it. Then you can do as your buddy said and just go with the vin on the body.

August 11th, 2015, 7:29 am
Profile YIM
Friend of UC4x4

drkhrs925 wrote:

make sure the Blazer VIN does not come up as stolen or back registration. File for a transfer like they said so you own it. Then you can do as your buddy said and just go with the vin on the body.

this is the plan. i just need the paperwork to do a junk slip on it so it can never bite me in the ass. blazer body would be cut up and recycled.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

August 11th, 2015, 10:00 am
Friend of UC4x4

Also thank you all for the input. I was driving my Sisters blazer for a few days and it wasn't as fun as i remember them being. I think the Willys body would look way cooler, and with a newer drivetrain would be fun to drive. Also it would be about a thousand pounds lighter

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

August 11th, 2015, 10:02 am

I want doors n fenders if there cheap...

August 11th, 2015, 10:09 am
Friend of UC4x4

oatmeal wrote:
I want doors n fenders if there cheap...

When i take it apart, body parts will be cheap. i'd even sell you the whole front clip so you can do a snub nose. doors are non power but in pretty good shape. If you ever have plans of cruising over this way i can pull it all. Otherwise i will be in Hollister in a couple weeks and can bring it all with me

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

August 11th, 2015, 3:12 pm
Friend of UC4x4

So I decided i am going 100% forward with this. Goal is to keep it under $1000 out of pocket plus whatever money i make selling off extra parts. Have been doing lots of research and it actually looks like it COULD happen and be together for next wheeling season, by then my kids will be old enough to really get out and do some camping/wheeling. Motor will be the stock 350 with TBI eventually, looking for a 4 speed/241 setup to replace the smoked 700r4. I want to keep it light and want deeper gears than a 205 offers. will need axles eventually but currently has a 10bolt front/12 bolt rear. rear will likely get welded. tires will be 35-37's. I have all the stuff to do a rear shackle flip using all stock brackets so rear suspension set up is free. I am planning to take the k5 body apart in the next couple weeks than i'll set the wagon on top. Hope it goes together smoothly

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

August 25th, 2015, 10:57 am
Friend of UC4x4

will look similar to this

Attachments:
hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg [ 28.87 KiB | Viewed 9937 times ]

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream
August 25th, 2015, 11:01 am

Looks sweet! Interested to see the build. Its pretty neat how crafty you can get with a budget. Im not sure what ive spent on mine but ive gotten quite a few deals. Hell ive even been buying stuff and flipping some parts to gain some budget back.

August 25th, 2015, 11:52 am
UC4x4 Member

Dig it, excited to see what you come up with.

- Confucius

August 25th, 2015, 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]