View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2021, 3:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 HFT metal jerry can review 
UC4x4 Member

Post HFT metal jerry can review
I'm posting this here first, incase Harbor freight doesn't like my review:

I did love this jerry can, and hard to believe it was actually made in the US (or easy to believe no foreign cans meet EPA). Had it for less then two years, usually full of gas and racheted secure inside of my jeep. I'd heard rumors that the super thin metal could get pin holes, so I never filled it with more then 4 gallons, in hopes that I would give the gas ample room to expand. Well sitting stationary holding fresh fuel since maybe just February, it expanded and contacted enough to warp the can and sprang a pin hole leak (dissolving the paint covering the hole) under a tarp in the back of my jeep when the temps reach the just the low 80's! There was fuel on the ground, in the jeep and a sound of burbling coming from the can. Jerry cans are supposed to do one thing really well, contain gas, this fails at it. I won't buy again and I'm not even going to elaborate on the epa spout.

One star for looking cool, but not holding gas :bs:

The pin hole is the tiny dot to the left of the label.

Edit: made in the us: http://www.midwestcan.com/static.asp?path=2840,3462

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 54.74 KiB | Viewed 10150 times ]

May 18th, 2016, 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Post Re: HFT metal jerry can review
not quite sure what you expected from harbor freight lol

Wolfpack member #1

May 18th, 2016, 9:12 am
Friend of UC4x4

I had one of the old cans (not HF), I bought in the early 90s, do the same thing sitting in my garage. It did last me a lot longer than your HF can did, but what metal wouldn't fail when being bent, weather being bent by hand, or multiple expansion and contraction cycles. I have use the 5 gallon plastic containers from HF with success, with the exception of the EPA nozzle. You saw them on the Dusy on attempt #1 they were a year old at that time. Price isn't too bad if you get a plethora of 20% coupons like I do. I've planed on divising a new nozzle foe them for a while now too, but there is so many priorities that need to come 1st.

May 19th, 2016, 8:00 am
Friend of UC4x4

that and you can get metal cans cheaper and better quality from amazon, and im sure probably some other places and you can get them with out the stupid california spouts

Wolfpack member #1

May 19th, 2016, 8:16 am
UC4x4 Member

My dad still has the same metal fuel can he moved with him here from Chicago 40 years ago. Works wonderfully to this day. They don't make things like they used to!

- Confucius

May 19th, 2016, 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Dan90FSB wrote:
My dad still has the same metal fuel can he moved with him here from Chicago 40 years ago. Works wonderfully to this day. They don't make things like they used to!

sure they do, you just have to pay more for them :goodfinger:

Wolfpack member #1

May 19th, 2016, 9:05 am
UC4x4 Member

Truth

May 19th, 2016, 9:15 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Thx Scott, I'll look at the plastic ones. I have the little plastic 2 gallons for small motors and they work great. Also going to look at rotopax and offroad dump cans like some of the guys have for their dirt bikes.

Garlic Bronco wrote:
Dan90FSB wrote:

Show me a link!

May 19th, 2016, 1:11 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

chexmix wrote:
Thx Scott, I'll look at the plastic ones. I have the little plastic 2 gallons for small motors and they work great. Also going to look at rotopax and offroad dump cans like some of the guys have for their dirt bikes.

Garlic Bronco wrote:
Dan90FSB wrote:

Show me a link!

theres tons on amazon

Wolfpack member #1

May 19th, 2016, 1:56 pm
UC4x4 Member

Garlic Bronco wrote:
chexmix wrote:

Garlic Bronco wrote:
Dan90FSB wrote:

Show me a link!

theres tons on amazon

Na you implyed I could get quality if I payed. I haven't seen any that don't appear to be anything more then cheap knock off on Amazon. ;)

May 19th, 2016, 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

chexmix wrote:
Garlic Bronco wrote:
chexmix wrote:

Garlic Bronco wrote:
Dan90FSB wrote:

Show me a link!

theres tons on amazon

Na you implyed I could get quality if I payed. I haven't seen any that don't appear to be anything more then cheap knock off on Amazon. ;)

come on..... youre smarter than that arnt you?

they are out there, you just have to look.... errrr not so much look but search, google is your friend

Wolfpack member #1

May 20th, 2016, 5:27 am
UC4x4 Member

Garlic Bronco wrote:
chexmix wrote:
Garlic Bronco wrote:
chexmix wrote:

Garlic Bronco wrote:
Dan90FSB wrote:

Show me a link!

theres tons on amazon

come on..... youre smarter than that arnt you?

they are out there, you just have to look.... errrr not so much look but search, google is your friend

Ah you meant google not Amazon :angel:

Sure. Blitz used to make a better can but tha ran out of money to pay for their liability insurance in 2011 after multiple law suits (all from the same law firm appears) contending the that a mesh filter would have prevented the explosion of a jerry can pouring gas on an open flame. I want to be neutral on some of these, like the mc Donald coffee one (it was found that they maintain the coffee much much hotter then most restraunts, for their drive through, as people want their coffee still hot when delivered by an assistant to the job site miles away), but pouring on an open flame should have been a no brainer. Of course the law group also found explosions from fueling small engines, but who reads the warning to let it cool before filling anayways.

So my googling found:
- Midwest can (pressed in US supposedly)
- Wavian USA (pressed in US supposedly)
- Crown automotive (rolled seam, larger then nato style, made in China)

And others that all look the same but with their label and their version of an EPA valve (like brigs and Stratton)

If you look closely, some of these have "nato" style seats and other use non NTP threading (like HFT). I'm not sure any of these as actually made in the US, I think just the safty valve is. The stampings look identical and I think they just have two filler neck styles. The pressed models all have recessed seems that are welded. There is a YouTube where a guys is talking positively about what looks like one of these welded tanks, but the seem isn't recessed and the wheight of the tank sits (balances since it's not flat) right on that seem. No word why he though that was ok. Also, if you think you found a new company, look closely at the welded seam, is the fill neck still on the right side, and on to the left of it, so you see the two pin holes (for mounting the filler neck for companies that choose to have an external mount)? Probably still Midwest (assuming they're the OEM which I doubt too).

So I have an old blitz can from the 70's I'll use for an bit, (or sell if your interested) but looks like the future is plastic. So I like the general shape and look of old Jerry can. Plastic version, there is a company called Scepter, that makes plastic Jerry cans. There are two real versions, consumer and military. Of course in the US you can only buy the consumer version with a EPA spout and no air valve. Im going to see if I can find either a military version online that will ship here or the international version, scepter 03609, which has a normal retro yellow filler neck and a yellow air cap on the opposite site of the tank. I'm not keen on a used surplus can.

May 20th, 2016, 8:24 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I've got two old jerry cans here in my garage. Heavy even when empty. $100 for one..... no spout accessories.

May 22nd, 2016, 6:20 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

California Monkey wrote:
I've got two old jerry cans here in my garage. Heavy even when empty. $100 for one..... no spout accessories.

Thank you, but no thank you.

fyi They're half that on eBay. ;) http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384102,00.asp

Edit: the link is to an article (2013) about the bots that run Amazon listings. Anytime I can't buy something with Amazon as the seller, I always double check the price somewhere else.

May 22nd, 2016, 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I bought a toy as a gift on amazon for $30 and two days later found it for $20 at walmart. Biggest difference is Amazon pays it's employees well including benefits. Walmart uses government financial assistance programs to subsidise their labor costs

May 23rd, 2016, 5:50 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]