View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 21st, 2018, 1:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Oceano dunes under attack (again) 
UC4x4 Member

Post Oceano dunes under attack (again)
http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1803-st ... unes-svra/

If you feel inspired, you can donate to Friends of Oceano Dunes

https://www.oceanodunes.org/

Or if you really want to voice your opinion, there's some emails provide for the "powers that be"

If you have something you’d like to say but can’t make it to the hearings, the Friends of Oceano Dunes have provided a list of email addresses for local officials and Parks Department officials; [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected].

I sent an email bcc'ing all of the above.

- Confucius

March 21st, 2018, 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Post Re: Oceano dunes under attack (again)
What'd you tell them?

March 21st, 2018, 4:23 pm
UC4x4 Member

The Facebook page has been lighting up with this. They want to close down a lot of riding area

March 21st, 2018, 6:21 pm
UC4x4 Member

i think almost everything past pole 5 for right now. Some of it seasonal but they said it was 100's of acres

March 21st, 2018, 6:43 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

And there's a plan to close the whole thing if the anti-use folks get there way.

This reminds me of Carnegie when they were doing measurements of the water downstream of that creek and found oil and other contaminants and sued the state. Then they did measurements on the other side of the park and found the same levels of contaminants...

There have been "hundreds" of complaints from residents that live downwind from the park about poor air quality, sand in the air and such, and some measurements to prove it. The complaint from the off-road community seems to be the lack of controls - that similar measurements haven't been taken elsewhere, say a mile up wind of the park.

Stan the Man wrote:
What'd you tell them?

this is my email verbatim:

I've recently heard of a plan by the San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District to close portions of Oceano dunes in an effort to increase local air quality. As a long time user (over 14 years) of Oceano dunes and other California SVRA's this concerns me. I've followed similar fights to close portions of the Rubicon, Carnegie SVRA, and many forest service roads in the Sierra's.

Many of these battles have been biased by big money from anti-use groups and the skeptic in me can't help but wonder if the same thing is happening here. Many of the battle's for responsible use I've mentioned previously ended favorably for the off-road community thanks to hard work by activist groups and occasionally concessions on both sides. I'd hope a similar effort is underway here.

With regards to the local air quality, specifically around dust in the air, how much of that is due to the SVRA? Are measurements being made in similar areas along the coast where there is no SVRA? what impact does the marine biological material coming from the ocean have on all the air monitoring data?

I've always been an advocate of responsible off-road use and still am but I've seen too many of these flights influenced by politics, or anti-use groups with deep pockets. The off-road community deserves a voice in this as well!

- Confucius

March 21st, 2018, 9:37 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Nice message Dan. I've read that there have been 114 or 144 (can't remember off the top of my head) complaints in the past 5 years.. Taking the high number, that's roughly 2 complaints a month. Considering there can be 15,000 visitors in peak season, that's not many complaints.

My questions would be:
1. How many of those complaints are unique complainers. Is its the same 5 people making the calls? Are there 144 complainers?
2. What are the details on the air quality tests? How regularly are they testing in the same areas and what has the trend been since they last closed 90% of the SVRA use space?

March 22nd, 2018, 7:19 pm
UC4x4 Member

Nicely said Dan. I agree that these air quality measurements the anti SVRA people are using are not qualified it compared regionally. And how many people in that nipomo area (since it's an elderly retirement community) have respiratory problems prior to all this sand. I'm sure the fact that they cut down so many trees to build the golf course doesn't help keep the dust down Id like to see comparisons of the silica dust in the air downwind from oceano and downwind from other beaches.

March 23rd, 2018, 10:52 am
UC4x4 Member

And I presume you both emailed those questions?

- Confucius

March 24th, 2018, 8:03 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]