View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2021, 1:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Rubicon in August. 
Friend of UC4x4

Post Re: Rubicon in August.
California Monkey wrote:
We are going all the way through starting at the reservoir. We are still looking for a good spot to park the tow rigs if anyone knows a good spot near ice house rd.

One of our group left his RV and trailer at Ice House Resort last week, parked it Monday morning and came back for it Wednesday. Give them a try.

August 17th, 2017, 1:10 pm
UC4x4 Member

we are trying to avoid the drive up ice house with the tow rigs so we don't have to drive up it to get the trailers when we are done. At the base of Ice house rd would be perfect.

August 18th, 2017, 3:14 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Just curious, is Justin's cabin not a good option? I only went there once but it didn't seem too far to get to the resivore from his place

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

August 18th, 2017, 1:28 pm
UC4x4 Member

its the same distance from my house to Justins cabin (2:20) as it is to the rubicon trail head. it's about an hour and half from Justin cabin to the trail head. Essentially adding 2 hours of drive time on the way in.

I'm not sure but I think at that point we start looking at just driving the rigs and skipping the trailers as it becomes a wash. The 3 of us confirmed that are going have discussed it and we still don't know what the plan is.

August 19th, 2017, 5:44 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

California Monkey wrote:
its the same distance from my house to Justins cabin (2:20) as it is to the rubicon trail head. it's about an hour and half from Justin cabin to the trail head. Essentially adding 2 hours of drive time on the way in.

I'm not sure but I think at that point we start looking at just driving the rigs and skipping the trailers as it becomes a wash. The 3 of us confirmed that are going have discussed it and we still don't know what the plan is.

Makes sense. Some how I thought it was more on the way to the trailhead

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

August 19th, 2017, 1:47 pm
Friend of UC4x4

Looks like I'll be running the con too....but unfortunately it's going to be the following weekend. The group I'm going with is running from the Tahoe side and expects to run in 2 days. Bunch of early Broncos. looking forward to hear your trip reports/trail conditions. Have fun guy's :D

August 23rd, 2017, 9:49 am
UC4x4 Member

Bummer we'll miss you Scott. Have fun! And I know you're thinking it, but 2 days is quick. Totally do-able, the Jamboree does it with hundreds of rigs. I just wonder at what speed you start to miss things?

- Confucius

August 23rd, 2017, 9:00 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Where's the pic / story thread? Figure out why your radios were worse than Cb?? :D

August 29th, 2017, 10:32 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

chexmix wrote:
Where's the pic / story thread? Figure out why your radios were worse than Cb?? :D

they got off the trail today..... give it time lol

Wolfpack member #1

August 29th, 2017, 1:44 pm
UC4x4 Member

Quick update until someone gets time to write words or upload pictures.

First, the radios were killer. I'd be stoked if I never used a CB again.

In short we killed it. Very minimal problems all things considered and the biggest problem came feet from pavement.

Saturday we left the trailers at a friend of Peter's in Shingle Springs, we drove the rigs up ice house and hit the trail head around noon. We made it to Buck that night and set up camp probably around 7. Peter had a motor stumbling issue that we ultimately chocked up to heat. He ran the fan on high the rest of the trip and it was good. Rich broke his rear anti-wrap bar at the weld seam, we removed it and carried on.

Sunday we took a swim in Buck, left camp around noon and hit the springs around 2. No issues on the trail, and we had hours to swim and hang out. We may have used the lights on the Bronco to light the river around midnight and use the rope swing. Maybe.

Monday we swam again in the springs, packed up and hit the trail around 11. Cadillac is always a little sketchy with those parts that are off camber down the hill, but we all walked up it. No spotting, no winching, no tow straps, and basically no stopping because you want to just keep your head in the game and get up the thing. We hit pavement around 4. A few miles before pavement Peter lost hydraulics on the clutch, no biggie, just started in gear and did some good-old-fashioned rev matching to change gears. Then his truck wouldn't start. We messed with it for a while and decided to tow strap it to the campground ~ 1.5 miles away. We took mostly back roads to avoid 89 and got to camp without incident.

Tuesday was another casual morning. Peter called a tow truck and we packed up and waited. The estimate kept getting longer so I decided to go to Emerald bay and hike down to the Vikings home with Tom, and go for a quick swim. Meanwhile Rich and Peter got Peter's truck to start, turns out the ECU relay was bad... kinda stupid because we had diagnosed the problem as no fuel pump and were dicking with the fuel pump relay, even swapped, it somehow never occurred to use swap the ECU relay... At that point the tow truck was on the way and he still had no clutch hydraulics so he got AC for the drive back to the tow rigs. Rich and I met up in Tahoe, got gas, stopped for a decent burrito and a local mexican place and hit the road. The drive home from there was perfectly uneventful.

Really really good trip overall, we never felt rushed, we had very few problems on the trail, and set up camp not only in the daylight every night, but often with time for a swim! It's amazing how different this trip was from years passed. A testament to well built rigs, and us living and learning: if the rig ain't ready, leave it at home.

I roughly added it up and I think we spent about 11-12 hours driving the trail, and this includes the few issues along the way. Basically the time from leaving camp one morning to arriving at the next that afternoon.

- Confucius

August 30th, 2017, 10:37 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

You forgot to mention that "HODOR" was a great tow rig without issue as a tow rig. We all had a rig we needed to build our confidence in this trip.
This trip will be what all other Rubicon trips will be measured against in the future. We'll be chasing this dragon for years to come. For me it was 6 years in the making and at times it didn't even feel real. My rig has some areas to be improved but for the most part it did the trail easily. Between the suspension, atlas, manual trans and 40's it was very much a point and go and if I took a bad line or didn't see a rock it was very forgiving. I was even able to drive from shingle springs to south lake Tahoe without having to use the gas in my Jerry can.
My negative take always from the trip are all mechanical. I did a massive fuel system vent install before the trip only to have it spill gas the entire trip. I had the anti-wrap bar snap, seats wernt comfy, steering ram needs a better pump, I should have just installed dual batteries when I started and my rig loaded driving on twisty mountain roads at 60 mph is fairly sketchy.

August 30th, 2017, 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

California Monkey wrote:
This trip will be what all other Rubicon trips will be measured against in the future.

Yeah but who carried your doors :shrug:

August 31st, 2017, 4:01 am
UC4x4 Member

Good to hear guys, glad it went so smooth. Im impressed you guys drove so much on the road! I'm looking forward to more trips on the rubicon with you all.

:pics:

August 31st, 2017, 7:12 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

akx wrote:
California Monkey wrote:
This trip will be what all other Rubicon trips will be measured against in the future.

Yeah but who carried your doors :shrug:

Its the weirdest thing, this granola looking hippy with no shoes on was walking down the trail as we passed through!

:mrgreen:

- Confucius

August 31st, 2017, 6:56 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Testing picture with Google hosting...

- Confucius

August 31st, 2017, 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next