View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 25th, 2021, 1:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Overlanding with Larry 4-15-18 
UC4x4 Member

Post Overlanding with Larry 4-15-18
We had planned to go snow wheeling and then planned to hit a trail or two but there was no snow and the trails were closed due to snow removal (go figure). So we did the coolest plan B ever which was head up to twain heart and hit some fire trails with our long time coolest mountain man friend Larry P.

Started off pretty mellow with the plan to meet up at CJ's cabin the night before which went smoothly except for a flat tire about an 1/8th mile from CJ's cabin. We couldn't have gotten any luckier as we were doing 2 MPH pulling onto CJ's turn and there was a giant parking lot that was nice and flat right were it went out. Took us about 20 minutes from start to finish but we got it swapped out and onto CJ's cabin for the night...

Woke up at a decent time, had a great breakfast and hit the road to where Larry lives a little bit up the hill. After friends seeing each other for the first time in years, we got all of our hugs out of the way and BS-ing done and hit the dirt roads.

sorry for the upside down pics.... supermotors refused to upload them correctly no matter what I tried

We had beautiful scenery as we weaved our way through the mountains

Older broncos are just cool

and even found a pretty cool boulder pile to take a break at

We went to one of Larry's favorite spots which was a beautiful camp ground next to a river and power plant. It has this super cool floating bridge.

When we left Larry and CJ decided to find out which way was faster back to the road....

Peter and I followed Larry

which took by this old rickity train track used in the logging days

We ended up going down what Larry described as a "rutted up nightmare road" which had apparently been fixed since the last time he went down it... no pics but it was the road that shook the trucks apart pretty good with new noises being heard by everyone.

We retired back to Larry's and loaded up ready for the drive home. We made it to the exact same spot where we had changed the tire on the trailer the night before and boom... smoke show and another flat at the same location on the trailer. This time is folded in the fender.

I mentioned to peter that with us having to unload the truck knowing it was going to be a 3 wheel trailer, why not use the winch to lift the trailer.... he liked that very much

with the wheel off

We rigged one of the mac straps to strap up the axle to keep it off the ground and drove it over to CJ's

With the trailer on 3 wheels we had to leave it as it was late Sunday and no place to get tires. With 6" of snow coming that night, we modified the fender before leaving knowing doing it the following way would suck....

The plan was for CJ and Peter to drive back up the next day with a tire and get everything home. That's where my story leaves off but i'm hoping others have more pics and story to tell.

Attachments:
20180415_120750.jpg
20180415_120750.jpg [ 4.51 MiB | Viewed 6468 times ]

April 20th, 2018, 1:08 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

Post Re: Overlanding with Larry 4-15-18
Fun! But you guys really need to add me to that group chat so I can join in on these trips.

April 22nd, 2018, 12:38 am
UC4x4 Member

Fun trip. Had to much fun driving I didn’t get any pictures.

April 22nd, 2018, 8:18 am
UC4x4 Member

Glad you guys got out. Also cool to see Larry's Bronco!

More pics!

- Confucius

April 22nd, 2018, 12:38 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Here are my pics from the trails.

Trailers make life so much easier :mrgreen:. I'll pick up where Rich left off. I had known the fenders of the trailer were on their way out, and I have quite figured out how I wanted to make drive over or removable fenders. So after leaving the trailer in the state seen in Rich's post, we started brainstorming about what to do on the drive back.

Rich had the idea to call Larry and see if he wanted some side with. After talking to Larry we decided the best thing to do was throw a tire on the trailer, drag it up to Larry's, and let our favorite monsoon fabricator have some fun building drive over fenders. Larry also mentioned raising the trailer up a little bit which sounded like a great idea.

So the next day I leave the house early and get up to the Les Schwab in Sonora 10 minutes after they opened at 8. 15 minutes later I've got two fresh trailer tires and it's off to get to work.
I see this once I hit Sonora
And this is what was waiting for me at CJ's cabin
I've never had to shovel snow off a trailer, or change a tire in the snow but there's a first time for everything. I get the new tire on, strap the fenders together to keep them well off the tires, and head up the hill to Larry's.
I got luck and the snow stopped enough to dry the roads and make towing easy. After dropping the trailer off it started to come down again. I got to snow wheel on the way home.

So the truck and trailer are up at Larry's getting mountain man fabbed. I'm excited to see what he comes up with and not having to worry about the fenders any more. Overall I got very lucky with where the blowouts happened. I was at slow speed, in a straight, next to big empty parking areas. It was great wheeling with Larry again and just getting out there even with the issues.

April 24th, 2018, 8:44 am

You guys sure had a great time despite the two tire issues.

May 3rd, 2018, 5:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]