View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 21st, 2021, 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Rubicon on Top Gear USA. 
UC4x4 Member

Post Rubicon on Top Gear USA.
Just saw a new episode of top gear USA on the DVR where they go across the Rubicon. They aren't as good as the BBC version but uncle Tom's is on there and Tanner has a bronco.

http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear

April 27th, 2016, 9:58 am
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: Rubicon on Top Gear USA.
It's causing a stir on Pirate

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/rubicon- ... ear-1.html

- Confucius

April 27th, 2016, 10:49 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I thought it was great.

April 27th, 2016, 11:08 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Haha I enjoyed it, but only because I've accepted that the show is scripted. The full episode is available online: http://www.history.com/shows/top-gear/s ... /episode-1

Can't wait to be out there in June! Btw Danny, your always invited, I just stopped telling you because I've been inviting you on the June trip for years! Lol

April 27th, 2016, 7:48 pm
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

i watched it last night, besides the lame scripted stuff, i thought it was at least half decent.

Wolfpack member #1

April 28th, 2016, 5:24 am
UC4x4 Member

I enjoyed it too. Wasnt perfect but I thought it was entertaining and not detrimental to the hobby or anything like that. Nice little piece of motivation too

April 28th, 2016, 10:20 am
UC4x4 Member

Disclaimer: crotchety old man on a soap box...

First, this is a car "enthusiast" show and they don't tell you anything meaningful about the vehicles! This was the closest we got to info about the modifications:

Quote:
The bronco has a 4" lift

Oh, and a SAS, and 8 lug axles obviously from another vehicle :roll:

Now I get the average viewer doesn't want to know minute details, and wouldn't understand it, but you could give the enthusiasts a 30 second run down of each vehicles mechanics and the modifications. I can't be the only person wondering.

IDK why but the 4runner rollover felt staged. He kept on that same line multiple times after almost rolling. It was also the only vehicle with an exo; feels too convenient.

The cloud of smoke on start up, and subsequent smoking down the trail, while realistic because that stuff happens during a roll over, doesn't cast trail users in a good light with the anti-use folks. It's a reality out there but it's not the kind of thing you need a national TV. It's all the worse if the rollover was staged.

Speaking of the 4runner. They left it, with no mention of how they got it out. I think this is an irresponsible demonstration of the reality of the trail. Normal people don't get to leave their shit when they break, they cobble together what they can and wrench until 2AM, sometimes literally falling asleep with ratchet in hand. Hypothetically of course.

It's really great that John and a few other "locals" ran the trail with them as guides. Imagine what lead-foot-bronco would've gotten himself into if left to his own devices.

Quote:
We went to present our work in San Francisco

Enter canned SF aerial footage. Followed by Google sign. Including street Address. On Charleston. In Mountain View. :roll:

One bright note, it did make me want to get out on the trail.

- Confucius

April 28th, 2016, 10:30 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

You are a crotchety old man! :-P

It is scripted and they're actors. The whole time you could maybe make one other car out on the trail but there are like 30 support staff there. The rear of the bronco was empty, where's the food? And you think they really slept in the tents at spider? Also there is a bridge over rubicon springs, the water fording (other then the splash at buck) was on springs private property (you can see the tents) and if you watch closely, there were multiple takes and in one scene Adam is driving back up the way he just came! Lol

Anyways, I agree it doesn't set the sport in a perfect light, and I know you know it's scripted and just venting for a real show (let's start one btw), but over all, I don't think it was that bad (excluding the amount of tourists who will come to the traIl now and the hasty construction of a bridge at Buck).

April 29th, 2016, 7:58 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

chexmix wrote:
(excluding the amount of tourists who will come to the traIl now and the hasty construction of a bridge at Buck).

This is what worries me. The trail has enough attention without more irresponsible trail users.

I wanted to like the episode, I mean its the Rubicon! But the more I watched the more I realized how not good this could be.

- Confucius

April 29th, 2016, 8:02 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

I'd put money on the fact that this episode of top gear will not bring one person to the trail who wasn't going to do it without seeing it.... literally not one.
To say it's a car enthusiasts show is a stretch as well.... when have you ever watched the show for the cars? It's like saying Nascar is a strategist sport. You care about the strategy about as much as you care about the paint jobs.
As far as the staged roll, leaving the truck there. I think that was actually helpful in showing the realities of the trail. If that didn't happen and they all made it through without any issues that would plague the average 4 wheeler.
Google is located in San Francisco as much as the 49ers. Get over it. Nobody knows where mountain view is. When you travel to Chicago and someone asks where you're from, you mention san Francisco as a reference.

April 29th, 2016, 8:46 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

You're probably right on attracting new trail users. Does the trail need any publicity with the antis though? IDK, maybe it doesnt matter.

The problem I have with the roll (staged or not) and leaving the truck is it only showed half the reality of the trail. They missed the half of crappy trail repairs, limping along broken, etc.

When I travel I tell people I'm from San Jose. 408 Pride! :goodfinger:

PS I watched this in an extra cranky mood from working too much :mad:

- Confucius

April 29th, 2016, 11:43 am
Profile WWW
Friend of UC4x4

i tell people im from gilroy rep that 95020 and the garlic capitol and then when they dont know where that is i explain better lol

Wolfpack member #1

April 29th, 2016, 12:01 pm
UC4x4 Member

P-Hill bitches 94523

:roll:

April 29th, 2016, 1:14 pm
UC4x4 Member

Lol, I've been in countries where they don't know where California is.... but they knew san Francisco

April 29th, 2016, 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

California Monkey wrote:
Lol, I've been in countries where they don't know where California is.... but they knew san Francisco

Oh you're a surfer!

Dan90FSB wrote:
You're probably right on attracting new trail users. Does the trail need any publicity with the antis though? IDK, maybe it doesnt matter.

My hope in this is a no press is bad press situation. Mean that this can only help bring attention to the trail and next time it's in danger of being closed (happens more often than you think), we can call out to the power of top gear fans. Imaging the hundred thousand+ fans all signing petitions or donating money for a legal fund from across the country? Seems win win from that (positive spin) view.

April 29th, 2016, 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next