View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently June 12th, 2021, 1:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Anyone have any experience with 3rd gen 4runners? 
Friend of UC4x4

Post Anyone have any experience with 3rd gen 4runners?
2000-2001 to be exact. My niece's boyfriend works for CarMax and says he can get me one from auction for about $2,000-2,500. Not sure if I would turn it into a rig or just driver it, but for the price its hard to pass up.

June 12th, 2016, 12:36 pm
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: Anyone have any experience with 3rd gen 4runners?
Cam has a 2001 I believe and is our resident Toyota expert so hopefully he'll chime in here.

- Confucius

June 13th, 2016, 6:41 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Overall great vehicles. Get the specs on it and I can give you more info.
Usually you want a 3.4L v6 with under 180k miles, 2wd or 4wd either is ok. 5spd manual is very reliable. Auto is also reliable but if they did any kind of towing the trans does tend to run a bit hot. So use an external cooler if it doesn't already have one.
2000-2001 4WD had a push button 4wd engagement. If it was a family vehicle and only got it into 4wd once a year or never sometimes those motors can get stuck.

Motor is easy to work on, maintenance is very straight forward. Just make sure you only use denso or ngk for parts. Running some bosh or autolite plugs will make it run like crap..

ALL our customers with 4runners love them and hardly ever sell them. 95% of those are all stock daily driven with little issues. Expect 17-20 mpg highway or 250-300 a tank on highway use.

Many are getting old enough that for trail/road rigs they are getting SAS with success.

June 13th, 2016, 8:16 am
Friend of UC4x4

Thank you. I don't have any specs since he is still looking for one. Just looking them up I see they go for over $5k so for $2k or so I thought I would jump on it. The good thing is if they get one or two in, I don't have to get if it's not what I want.

June 13th, 2016, 6:41 pm
UC4x4 Member

If all possible no salvage title AND no east coast 4runner. The frame rust from the inside out, once you see the rust on the frame is too late and they don't pass inspection out there. Then they end up at auctions and dismantlers.

June 14th, 2016, 9:01 am
Friend of UC4x4

Do the runners have the same frame issues the tacos do? I've never seen another truck fold in half due to rust like the Tacoma does. Also since he mentioned CarMax, I would think they'd do an inspection/30 day warranty so hopefully no roaches.
Really can't go wrong with any Toyota, there is a reason the hold their value so well.

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

June 15th, 2016, 11:38 pm
UC4x4 Member

blackbeauty88 wrote:
Overall great vehicles. Get the specs on it and I can give you more info.
Usually you want a 3.4L v6 with under 180k miles, 2wd or 4wd either is ok. 5spd manual is very reliable. Auto is also reliable but if they did any kind of towing the trans does tend to run a bit hot. So use an external cooler if it doesn't already have one.
2000-2001 4WD had a push button 4wd engagement. If it was a family vehicle and only got it into 4wd once a year or never sometimes those motors can get stuck.

Motor is easy to work on, maintenance is very straight forward. Just make sure you only use denso or ngk for parts. Running some bosh or autolite plugs will make it run like crap..

ALL our customers with 4runners love them and hardly ever sell them. 95% of those are all stock daily driven with little issues. Expect 17-20 mpg highway or 250-300 a tank on highway use.

Many are getting old enough that for trail/road rigs they are getting SAS with success.

I've got a friend at work looking for one as well and thought of this...

Do these early 2000's with the 3.4 have a timing belt? And if so whats recommended change interval? How about water pumps or other things to look out for on a highish mileage 4runner, say 150k?

- Confucius

August 18th, 2016, 8:04 am
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

Yes all 3.4L have timing belt, and yes replace the water pump, thermo and drive belts at the same time. Use Aisin pump and a good belt.
Interval is 90k, if you are looking at one at 180K then the idle bearing and tensioner bearing get replaced then too.
Easy job to do and a few hours at home on a Saturday can be done. Do pick up a tensioner too, cheap on amazon or online, makes the job quicker since actually removing the tensioner can be a pain.

August 29th, 2016, 10:13 am
UC4x4 Member

Thanks Cam

- Confucius

August 29th, 2016, 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]