View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently November 17th, 2017, 6:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 WTB: Bronco or 351W 

Post WTB: Bronco or 351W
So, I brought my bronco into the shop to get the oil pan switched out. They found a bunch of metal chunks inside from the piston skirt. They want around 2500 after all is said and done with a used 351 and the cost of parts/labor. Crate sounds like too much of a hassle and rebuild is gonna cost close to same as used engine swap. Now im considering parting the bronco and moving over the good stuff to a new bronco or getting a used 351W to drop in to this thing and keeping it alive. If you guys have a good line on either of those, share the info! :thumb:

March 4th, 2017, 3:48 pm
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: WTB: Bronco or 351W
If your patient you should be able to get a truck with a blown trans and a good motor for pretty cheap. I'm thinking E4OD...

But... I think the bigger question is the long term plan. You envision having this thing for a while? If so maybe a long block or a rebuild isn't a terrible idea.

- Confucius

March 4th, 2017, 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
UC4x4 Member

lol... want to buy my race bronco? $1500 before race day, probably less after.

March 5th, 2017, 2:38 am
Profile WWW

Was kind of pissed but now I'm leaning towards swapping in a used engine and just biting the bullet on throwing more money at this thing. I could easily say I think I'll have it in 10 years so maybe it's worth pushing forward with it. Found a couple broken broncos on Craigslist to see if I could get their motors. Also weighing trying to take this on myself or just paying the shop to do it.

Rich what bronco do you have for sale, the all red one in the fir sale section???

March 5th, 2017, 3:31 am
UC4x4 Member

Check out the build "the other bronco". It's good for racing or parts as it will never be registered again due to previous owner BS. I'm planning on racing it March 25th but if you wanted it now I would sell it for $1500. Depending on its condition when I get it back home after the race, it could go for less or much less.

March 6th, 2017, 6:01 am
Profile WWW

I think I want to try to get this running better, I am so back and forth on this :banghead:

So they think a piston skirt broke and that's what they found in oil pan. Now that I think of it, I think those chunks of metal could be from the old timing cover that we air chiseled, I think I remember chunks of metal landing in the oil pan. I don't think he for sure knows it's the piston skirt, so I don't know if I even want to do a rebuild off of his guess. They got the oil pan in so I may just try to drive as is and see how it feels.

....Shop owner called and said truck is running fine and doesnt think it was piston skirt metal. Most likely it had to be the old timing cover chunks. So, looks like i get to keep working on getting this truck running better. Phew, that was almost a $2500 commitment.....

March 6th, 2017, 2:32 pm
UC4x4 Member

So what are you up to these days, seems like the first post in a while. Good to here it lives on.

March 6th, 2017, 11:49 pm
Profile WWW

Yeah I disappeared for awhile but things are finally settling down. Started working for alameda county a few years ago, bought a house a few blocks from rich, met a girl about a year and half ago at same time rich was helping me get the bronco back from the grave, now were getting married in may. Finally time to focus on the fun stuff!

Btw I still owe you whatever help you need for all that help on the bronco rich!

March 7th, 2017, 12:47 am
UC4x4 Member

Muhahaha..... I need muchos help on so many things.....

Btw I still have a set of your bronco keys.

March 7th, 2017, 6:14 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]