View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently August 2nd, 2021, 6:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 project batty 
UC4x4 Member

Post Re: project batty
:stupid: Because I have good success at breaking off bolt extractors / easy outs inside of broken studs!

- Confucius

September 28th, 2015, 7:02 am
Profile WWW

California Monkey wrote:
I have a ton of success welding nuts to broken studs. ... might want to try it first

I'll have to pull the pump and cover first just to see if there's anything far enough out too weld on. From the way the bolt snapped it looks like it's gonna be pretty close to flush but we will see.

September 28th, 2015, 10:11 am
UC4x4 Member

flush is what you need. Did it on my '95 and on bonzias '89 last month

September 28th, 2015, 10:56 am
Profile WWW

Welp. Got the water pump and timing cover off. Both heavily cavitation. The timing cover had cavitation through coolant passages. I'm hesitant to do a coolING system flush to get rid of all the deposits. Either way got the bolt out no problem. New chain and gears. New timing cover. New hardware. Water pump has to wait. Blew my budget -.-

Still need to find this rediculous long alternator bracket bolt as well.

October 27th, 2015, 10:32 pm
UC4x4 Member

Nice, progress is progress!

Consider replacing the radiator since you're this deep. And if you do, get an all metal one, those plastic side tanks tend to separate where the aluminum and plastic comes together.

- Confucius

October 28th, 2015, 7:21 am
Profile WWW

Already is all metal. Think I'll try and find a new one though down at summit. It's way too convenient having summit racing less than a mile away

October 28th, 2015, 7:21 pm

Have a vacuum leak somewhere. Still working on hooking the wiring up for the 3G alternator. On hold for a bit. Shit happens in life. Either way. Why the fack does this thing not have a diesel -.- heavily considering a 6.9 idi swap with a manual. Or maybe a detroit 6.5 or a 6.6 acert if I could find one. Either way this gas stuff is bull.

December 11th, 2015, 1:29 am
UC4x4 Member

The "right" motor has everything to do with what you want to do with the truck...

If your building a wheeler I think you're better off with the gas motor. Quite a bit lighter. Quieter. You don't need the power of the diesel, in fact you're more likely to just break shit with it IMO. It's likely to be more reliable since its stock, people like to think they can do a top notch motor swap and then they start cutting corners. Plus its already there, so you can spend the same time and money putting in axles, suspension, transmission/tcase stuff that will actually make it wheel better. Not to mention SMOG or other legal stuff, maybe less of an issue in NV but worth understanding, or considering what happens if you move back to CA.

Now don't get me wrong, I own a diesel, I love diesels, and there's been plenty of awesome diesel Bronco swaps over the years, I've followed several cool swaps on Pirate and I totally dig it. If you're into it, I'd love to watch the swap. But there's a time and a place for them. The torque advantages (and mileage) make them a good choice for heavy towing, but you aren't looking to tow with the Bronco (at least I hope not with that wheelbase). Also most of the Bronco diesel swaps I've seen are multi use type trucks, they aren't serious wheelers, so again it comes back to what you want to do with the truck.

If you want a diesel in it for the sake of wanting a diesel in it, I get it, and I'm 100% with you :thumb:

My last 3 cents here... if you're going through the trouble, why on earth would you put in a 6.9? They were dogs in their day and are even more so by todays standards. I'm certain a fuel injected 351 makes more HP, and the torque is probably damn close. Sure you could put a turbo on it and pick up some power, but if its about power, you could do some mods to your gasser with a lot less work. Hell there's a dude on Pirate that put a turbo on his 302 bronco, did all the work himself and was only like $2K into it. If you're serious about the diesel swap a 5.9 cummins is the obvious choice and if you want to keep it "Ford" a non-IDI 7.3 is the way to go IMO.

- Confucius

December 11th, 2015, 9:20 am
Profile WWW

Update for the truck. 3g alter is hooked up and charges. So that's good. Got the manual choke cable installed. Got the new modulator valve install for the trans and seemed to fix the majority of the vacuum leak. Now best we can find is the lower carb gasket leaking.

Dan I'd go with the 6.9 because of its reliability in the late years. And they're a dime a dozen up here. Plus seeing as how it bolts up to the 460 mounts locations it makes install easier. It's not a wheeling rig by any means. It may seem some light trails if I have to take the trailer to rescue the bronco but that'll be about it.

6.9 get amazing fuel mileage and are so cheap and easy to work on it just makes sense. The cat 6.6 would be pretty expensive and take a lot of work but is a stout engine but at that point it would be for the cool factor. The Detroit is just reliable as hell. I'll never go back to cummins. Way too many stupid issues and everything around here is top dollar. Plus I hate how the cummins engines sounds. An older volvo D7 would be a pretty cool swap too. But yeah. I love the 6.9 sound and they're easy to work on and parts availability has no short comings. Plus I could mount an Eaton 5 speed in no problem. So yeah. That's why I'd pick a 6.9 I don't need power of a tuned up 351 or a 460. Plus the fuel mileage would be amazing in comparison lol

Due to the age of the truck it is not smog exempt but I can get classic vehicle plates which is 1 time smog then no smog for as long as you maintain classic vehicle status. So the smog regulations wouldn't even have a clue it had a diesel.

December 17th, 2015, 11:04 pm

Welp. Got it to idle on its own for 20 minutes. Major improvement. Sounds great now. Need to do another oil change. Fuel filter. Fix the filler neck and find and air cleaner that works with the hei dizzy. Then fix the power steering and smog the turd. Woo hoo! Progress

December 30th, 2015, 10:56 pm
Friend of UC4x4

Douple check the classic plates thing. If i'm not mistaken there are several driving restrictions on special plates. i know the "historical" plates for my '51 International have a bunch of restrictions on them

Wolfpack member #3

Living the dream

December 31st, 2015, 10:39 am

I'll double check the plateam deal. It's going to be super slow working on it from here on out. I took over our field tech position so now I get a service truck to drive... also means Ill be spending a lot of time away from home. In Carlin nv all this week.

January 12th, 2016, 9:36 pm

Well... We pretty much bought a house. Inspection is April 4th. Not sure what's going to go on with the 79 anymore. This whole never being home deal is making it hard to get motivation to work on it.

March 30th, 2016, 10:10 pm
UC4x4 Member

Congrats! Thats usually the biggest purchase in a persons life. So be excited! You've got plenty of years of wrenching ahead of you, enjoy this moment!

- Confucius

March 31st, 2016, 8:50 am
Profile WWW

Well inspection is done. Minor minor stuff. House appraised for a grand more than what were buying it for. Front and rear gates to the backyard. So excited

April 11th, 2016, 9:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next